1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bouncing speedometer needle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nabraham, Aug 18, 2003.

1. nabraham

nabraham Junior Member

I recently put in a new speedometer cable and replaced the needle to the speedomter. When I went for a test run, the needle bounces in around the 15-20 mph range. When I put in the new needle (because there wasn't one) when I bought the "86 GMC 1500 Sierra truck", is there a position that it has to be set to? I marked it at that "line" below the 5 mph mark. I applied lube to the pin that the needle sits on.

Please help!!!!
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the speedo is bouncing,then it's usually the cable.Even though you replaced it,are you sure it's routed correctly ? You must keep the bends to a minimum.

It could also be the needle rubbing on the face of the speedo,or an internal problem with the speedo.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Likely it is bent somewhere and at that speed binds up. Check the routing of the cable and smooth out any bends.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

did you grease the cable before installing it

5. nabraham

nabraham Junior Member

I greased the pin that the needle attaches to, do I also have to grease the other end? I don't think the cable is bended, I made sure of that. Nor is the needle scrapping the speedo. The needle is tight on the pin. What else could be causing it?
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

You should be able to slide the entire cable center out of the conduit,and lightly grease the entire cable.When you replaced the cable,wasit complete from trans\transfer case right to the speedo head ? A lot of them were two piece,and maybe you only replaced one half of it ?

If it's not that,then it could be the speedo head is bad.You could take it apart,as sometimes they can get dirty,or parts will rub inside,causing the needle to bounce.You could also have missing teeth,or a worn gear in the trans\transfer case.
  7. nabraham

nabraham Junior Member

How can you tell if the trans\transfer case is worned? Will that in fact make the needle bounce? The cable I installed was "new", would I still need to grease it? The speedo head turn both directions before I installed the needle.

This "bouncing needle" problem has got me going "coo-coo!!!"

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

The new cable may,or may not be greased.You will have to pop it back out to check it.If you pull the cluster end,you should be able to grab it and pull it out,without having to disassemble the trans end.

If your truck is 2wd the speedo adapter will be on the extension housing of the transmission.If it's 4wd it will be on the pass side of the transfer case.Just follow the speedo cable to where it goes in.Pull out the small bolt,and retaining clamp and the adapter should pop out.There will be a large pastic driven gear on the end of it.Check to see if the teeth are worn or missing.Also look into the hole to see if the drive gear is damaged.
  9. nabraham

nabraham Junior Member

Thanks Wyldman for all your help!!!!

I'll try looking at it this weekend, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks everyone who responded as well!!!!

Mahalo from Hawaii!!