1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bouncing Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I have never used plow shoes nor do I have any but I have always heard that they are in the way and no one around here uses them.

I have been plowing a road that is about 1 mile long this winter. If I go over about 10 mph the plow starts bouncing and makes small washboards in the road surface. The road is gravel/dirt but we have not seen the dirt for months. It is now hard snow-pack. I was wondering if I installed a set of shoes set to where the cutting edge was like 1/4" off the ground could I run along at like 20 mph? The sides of the road are starting to close in a little since I cannot run along at a high enough speed to throw the snow over the berm. A few days ago I set the plow about 4" off the ground and ran down the berm at 30 mph. It threw a lot of the snow out a ways. I then dropped the blade and ran down the edge slow to clean up the mess. If I could do this all in one pass it would be a time saver.
  2. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Hey Crumm, if you're plowin out there in North Pole, all the roads are bumpy like that.. haha.. The good thing about the snow there is that it DOES smooth out the roads a bit.. We don't use the shoes here in Anchorage either..

Take care of that truck no, ya hear??

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Seeing as your up. Merry Xmas. If it is financialy feasable. Get a Blizzard 810. They weigh 950 lbs. and it will hurl that snow further to the side of the road.
    There is no substitute for weight and width. Still don't recommend too much speed when plowing , dangerous, too many things can happen. Check out Sidewing.com
  4. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

Hey kl0an - Great quote you got there! Kinda made me count some of my blessings here on this fine (but snowless) Christmas morning! Steven

"I once cried because I didnt have a back plade on my plow truck, then I saw a man who only had a shovel."
  5. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Re: crumn

Not at all financially feasible. I plow my own and a for a few neighbors and friends. You think weight is the key rather than shoes? I could make a platform on the a-frame to hold a couple of bags of sand. They could be thrown on for the road job and removed for the slow stuff.

I drive it like it was my own. Wait a minute it is my own.
  6. Bolts Indus.

crumn. Another trick I have used to add weight is to put a double cutting edge on or weld another strip on. If your lift hydraulics can handle it. On soft surfaces just feather it up a little on the stick and it won't dig in.

I have been to Alaska. Beautiful. Want to go back. Drove from Nova Scotia in 4 cyl. 4 runner towing big camper trailer, loaded. Nobody has done that from here.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2003
  7. We have that problem when there is a thaw / freeze cycle and it leaves a ice base below packed snow. The best cure we have found over the years is to plow a time or two ( Lake Superior snow belt and we plow almost daily ) in the opposite direction with the plow angled left and driving on the "wrong side" of the road. For safety sake we block the ends of the roads and throw a traffic cone at each driveway before we start. It is common around here.
    I hope this helps you.
  8. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I will try the reverse direction idea next time I head down the road. Makes sense since the washboards are angled with the plow and angeling the other way would cut across them. The road I am plowing only has about 1 car every 10 minutes or so on average as long as I don't hit it at 7-9 am and 4-6 pm during the week so safety shouldn't be a problem.
  9. Bolts Indus.

Makes sense? It is amazing to see how simple problems can be cured when some one gives us the answer. We say to our selves. Why didn't I think of that. That's why we come to plowsite. Always learn something here.

It is said that common sense is so rare today that anybody with a little should be considered a GENIUS.
  10. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Whenever I plow a gravel drive, I tell the customer it wont be plowed the first or second time it snows. This lets the first couple of inches be driven on and packed down. This will give you a nice smooth surface to plow for the rest of the year. Ive been doing this for several years and it works quite well, As long as the first couple snowfalls are small (1-3 inches). After that you can haul azz !!:eek:
  11. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I did the old wrong side of the road plow routine the day after Christmas. I did it at 4:30 am so there was NO traffic to deal with. It turned out great. No washboards in sight and the road is as smooth as a baby's butt.
    Now if I can figure out how to cut the snow pack in the church parking lot. That thing is like a snow-cross course. I had to wear my seat belt while plowing it at 5mph:eek:. Might be time for the old sand-bag trick???
  12. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

I had an old unkle that used to live in upstate new york.all of the roads in and out of his property were gravel and rutty.he had made a 2" steel pipe that had 2 uprites welded so it replaced his shoes And he set it so the plow was an inch of the ground.

this is what it looked like

the plows blade always rode above the ground and it pushed the snow into the ruts and pulled down the high spots.He explained his roads were better in the winter to drive on then in the rest of the year.about 10 storms into the season when the snow would remain until the spring off this thing would come and he would run with just a regular blade.

I dont know if this would help you or not[​IMG]

Sorry but I cant get the drawing to come up try this link
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2003