1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bouncing front end.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bgingras, Feb 14, 2004.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Hey guys

I have an 86 chevy K30 dually. The front end has started to bounce...I am not feeling anything from the brake pedal, nor from the steering...with the plow up even the plow starts to bounce up and down...this is happening randomly and happened 3 times within 1 mile without the plow, and stopped for 3 days and then did it once with the plow on. It feels like it's bouncing from side to side and up and down...it did it twice when the brakes were not applied.

I've jacked the front end, everything seems tight, wheels turn freely, no binding. I have a set of rotors on the way just in case, but I'm stumped as to what the cause could be.
  2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Are the wheels packed with snow and ice???
  3. towman

towman Member

i would guess the shock for the steering has gone bad, truck can shake pretty nasty when they are shot
  4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

wheels are clear, it happens no matter road conditions...Wheels are clean.
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Did you check your shocks?
  6. dually

dually Junior Member

I had a C-50 once that did that. My mechanically inclined uncle said the kingpins were bad. I have no idea if it applies.
  7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the steering stabilizer and shocks sound like they may be going
  8. maximus

maximus Junior Member
    from iowa

Stand on your front bumper and jump up and down till you get a good bounce going then jump off. If your shocks are worn it will continue to bounce for a while. If they are ok you should see one bounce before it settles down. Quick easy way to check your shocks.
  9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

To be honest, I'm not even 140lb, and I can't make it move when I'm on the bumber...in fatc my 800lb plow doesn't even drop the front with the springs it's got. Still looking at the problem, I think I'll bring it to be checked out since someone told me that the link between the steering box and wheels could be gone, and I really don't want to take any chances and miss it.
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

might look into if there are any cracks around the steering box on the frame. pretty comon and an easy fix with many kits available
  11. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Drag link, front shocks and steering stabilzer...all needed replacing...$440, I don't have the time or energy to do it myself, plus it will need alignments if I did do it...let them takle care of the cheap messy stuff.
  12. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Ok, we have a winner...I took the front end apart on my own(wanted the experince), and replaced the axle U joints(those were for some reason welded in), and while taking it apart I found a chunk of my rotor missing from the drivers side, this would be the problem all along...Replaced the rotors, now combined with new shocks and a rancho stabilizer, there is no shake and it rides like a new truck. It's odd though that I never felt anything in the brakes.