1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bouncing check

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by First Responder, Feb 27, 2014.

1. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

Knock on wood this is only the second bounced check issue I have ever had to deal with. First one was an HOA changing management companies, they paid the additional fees, re - issued a check all good. This last one is from an electrical contractor, who bounced a check and has been giving me the run around.....obviously service is suspended, there is a signed contract too. I have heard you can go to the police and file a report regarding bounced checks??? I there any truth to that? Anyone ever done that? What else can I do? Besides the phone calls, emails, and mailing out invoices with all the additional fees attached??? Any suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Around here you can take bad check to district justice. They will subpena the person to court. Now the crappy part is as long as the make payments, be it a dollar a week, no further action will be taken. They don't pay that is when sheriff starts to get involved.

3. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

send the cops,

You will get a better response when the officer shows up requesting payment or having charges filed for bad checks. I screwed around with one customer for months based on promises to pay. Never paid the bill. Sent the cops with a copy of the check. He told them to settle up within a week or he would be back to file charges. I got paid.

Kimber is correct also. Unfortunately getting the sheriff involved also costs you more money.

4. kimber750

Well all my bad checks do come from renters. DJ and sheriff are a necessary part to be able to evict if needed.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

bounce check is a lot different then not paying and getting a judgement.Bounced checks are fraud and courts do go for that. When they hear up to yr in jail they find the wallet fast!

6. First Responder

from 48015

So basically I should just go the the police department, bring the check? Do I go to the city that my business is located in or the city of the property? Sorry about all the questions, I really appreciate all of the input!

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Only had one this year but they said will issue me another check +the fees I haven't seen its been a week
    Work for the food place since it came here in the 80s this was the first time

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Find where they are and knock on the door.

I've done this plenty of times!

9. First Responder

from 48015

I think sometimes it just an over sight in most cases, but my customer is definitely avoiding and his employees keep giving me the run around!!! Btw...thanks for all you help with the atv info a while back!

10. First Responder

from 48015

Believe me I have been pondering that. I definitely do that with my residential customers....lol....I remember one time I followed them to the atm machine! Just unsure about commercial customers, as I am sure I won't get past the reception area.

11. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Can't hear to try

If it's a customer you don't care about make a scene. If it is one you care about ask to speak directly with him.

12. First Responder

from 48015

Lol.....I can see it now...."get the crazy chick some $". No way, once I get my $, I am done with this guy. In fact I call the city every snow fall to complain about the city walks not being cleared, no sure if they are getting tickets, but it make me feel better....and that's all that matters!

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Go to the sheriff department.

14. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

We go to Prosecutors office with checks....they will prosecute them, then you can sue them in small claims if need be, since the check is your evidence. Don't let anyone take that check from you though, unless you get cash.

15. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Try this first.... When someone issues a check, let's say 1000.00 dollars, and it doesn't have sufficient funds but more than likely they have money in their account. How much is the question??? You can re issue and take the bounce check to the bank twice....lets say you have someone call and ask if a 900.00 check would clear... And the bank says yes.... What do you do... Walked into the bank deposited a 100.00 into their account and then cash their check for the 1000.00... You do the math... So depending on the amount and your bank .... This can work....and has worked.... Hope it help

16. kimber750

For me it is where the rental property is located. Should be the same as where the service was giving.

17. kimber750

You can come put some money in my account if you want. payup

18. Mark Oomkes

I'm confused.

Why would I deposit $100 into their account? I'm still short $100.

Maybe I don't get it.

19. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Guess you can give that lawyer, a hundred or pay for sheriff to serve, or gas money running back and forth, but all I know is I am not out 1000.00 only a 100.....I only have to hound them for the hundred I deposited into their account....

20. Mark Oomkes

Not sure going to the sheriff's office costs anything. And fees\costs can be recovered in small claims court.

Going to the bank does not cost anything in gas?