1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bounces out of control...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by seabeetough, Nov 11, 2003.

1. seabeetough

seabeetough Junior Member

I just finished replacing the bearings and hubs. Then I got it all back together. I took it around the block a few times seemed to be running great so I took it on a busy road by my house and when I got it to around 30mph it started to bounce so bad it took me from one lane all the way across the next lane and on to the shoulder. Once I got it to stop I took off again and it did the same thing. Ive got 38.5x14.5x15 on it. It was like rideing a bull with big balloon tires. Can anyone tell me what might cause this? It was bounceing so bad I couldnt tell where it was coming from I was to busy praying I wouldnt hit anyone. Ive got an 85 Chevy if that helps.

Thanks Chuck
  2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Check and recheck. Was it doing this before? It is either a bearing or it's in the steering. What lift is on the truck? What steering correction is being used?
  3. seabeetough

I got the truck broke down. It needew a new pass side inner and outer axle. It also needed new bearings and hubs. I replaced the bearings and hubs but didnt put a new axle in yet. I was told i didnt need it if I didnt plan on useing the 4x4. So Im going to do that at a later time. Theres a 4 inch body lift and 38's on it with no stableizers on it. (Yes the tires rub) I got the truck from a guy who lives around me so I have seen it drive. It sat for 3 weeks before i got it. I havent seen him to ask if it did it before. what Im thinking is if I put a stableizer and new shocks whould that stop the wobble of death I get? Or could it be something else. Could I have messed up when putting in the new bearings?

4. tileman

tileman Member

Are the tires rubbing the fenders? If they are it could be the tires are grabbing hold and letting go again and again. I would check with the guy you got it from and see if he was having problems before he sold you the truck.

5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Like you said the axle shaft it self has no effect on anything. Bearing preload will. Just make sure there is no play in the wheel bearings, check the ball joints as well.
    Does it have any steering damper? That will cure it if everything else checks out. With the 39's you want 2 of them.
  6. seabeetough

there wasnt anyplay when I finished. I havent checked sense I bounce all over. Hopefully the weather will work with me today after work and Ill checjk it out again. This may be a dumb A** question, But what is a steering damper? Is it the same as a stableizer? Im new with these mechanic terms.
    The truck use to have 4 stableizers on it but for some reason they where thrown in the bed.

7. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

I dont mean to question... but i see the name SeaBeetough, with a location of Virginia Beach....

I was in the Navy stationed @ Norfolk ...

We were an active Seaduty Minesweeping squadron on 72 hour deployment. (means we could deploy anywhere in the world in 72 hours)
    our squadron had a detachment of SeaBee's assigned to it.
    Those guy's maintained all our vehicles, RIB boats, trailers, forklift's, you name it .

my question is... are you a SeaBee ? cause the line of questions in your posts dont point me to believe these questions are coming from a SeaBee.

I mean no offence to you by asking this,
    It's just that the SeaBee's i knew were about the best all around Mechanics ive ever delt with.
  8. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

also, in keeping with the topic of the post,
    the last full size chevy i had with a lift...
    i had a bad drag link do the same thing .. if i hit a pothole or bump in the road, it would shake and shimmy all over the road till i came to a complete stop.

then it would be ok till the next hole...

may want to look at your steering linkages.

and re-install the stabilizers
  9. seabeetough

I picked up a couple stabilizers today froma friend. Im hopeing this will do the job. And to answer the Seabee question, Yes Im a Seabee but not a machanic, There are 7 different Seabee rates. Im a steelworker(Welder) I can put up any building, bridge and fabricate anything out of sheetmeter or steel, Hell I can even operate a Bulldozer but get me under a hood of a truck and its all greek to me. Im a take it off put it back on machanic.

10. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

No, no, dont go overboard....

it was just a question.. thats all.

11. seabeetough

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

jack it up

spin the front
    tires see if it has a wobble

is the steering wheel shaking
    or do you feel it in the seat

13. dalejr

dalejr Junior Member
    from pa

I have a 93 chevy k1500 silverado 4x4 and i am lost, anyhow i have a virbration at 40-45mph all the time you can feel it in the steering wheel, twice it got so bad i had to slow down cause the wheel was jumping so bad. I replaced the brakes, rotors, new tires, new tie rod ends, outer tie rods, drivers side cv joint. I can also feel and hear a noise under my feet while run over pot holes or a dirt road. What is the problem i have? I spent my 2 months pay check on this and still got the same problem. I did what every garage said it was and i don't know what it is, could someone help????
  14. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

What about shocks? Sound like a front tire bouncing up and down. Also check bushings on the sway bar links...Chuck
  15. crashz

crashz Senior Member

seabeetough - My Dad was a SeaBee. Went to Vietnam and fixed all kinds of heavy equipment. He can just about operate anything and fix it too!

As far as your problem, sticj the front axle on jack stands and trie to wiggle the tires. You will be able to tell where the play is by watch were the focal point is in the wiggle. When you installed the wheel bearings, did everything have a nice tight fit? Check for play in your tierod ends, drag link and steering box. With those big tires and the problems that the truck had when you bought it, it won't surprise me if the steering box hasn't cracked the frame at the mounting points. This is very common on abused chevys.
  16. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Sorry - didn't see the post date!