1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boughused plow, what should I be prepared to replace?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Sep 28, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Just bought a meyer 81/2' 1996 with e60H, frame mounts for chevy and my wifes superduty for $1000...

never used commercially, no real noticable wear on blade, except for sun-fading....

What spares should I get? What will be the first part to blow up? Should I rebuild anything before the season?

Thanks
    Howard

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I don't know much about meyers but be sure to change the oil in the motor and the angle cylinders.
    Also check out the Snowplowing Contractors Network link at the top of the page. Chuck has a lot of great reading there too.
    Thats a good place to start,
    Mark K

Last edited: Sep 28, 2002
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, if the motor is a few years old, make sure the ground wire is attached to a clean part of the pump. Meyer changed the motor design so it now has a ground lug on the motor instead of the pump body. Grounding was a big problem.

Change the fluid in the pump and angle rams.

You might want to keep a couple of spare 90° swivel elbow fittings. My brother had a problem with his E-60 breaking elbows one year (funny the problem stopped on it's own).

I would dismantle the sector from the moldboard and grease the pivot pins now.

Make sure the lift arm is attached to the pump ram in the rear mounting hole of the lift arm. The front hole is for trucks with an engine mounted hydro pump. The rear hole will allow the plow to be raised higher and slightly faster than the front hole.

Check the adjustment of the trip springs. They are adjusted properly when the coils of the spring are just starting to seperate. If you can grab a spring and twisted it, or if it feels "loose" and wobbly, tighten the adjustment.

You might want to keep some spare spring adjusters and a pair of spare trip springs on hand.

Keep in mind if you need to change a trip spring, all of the springs must be loosened enough to allow you to remove and replace worn or broken springs. If it was me, I would have a spare adjuster on hand for each spring the plow has, and an extra one just in case. Rust makes removing or adjusting the springs a problem, so if the adjusters are still nice and shiny, I would coat the threads with clear silicone to keep them that way.

90% of the time, I cut off old adjusters because they are too rusty to waste time trying to loosen or adjust properly.

I would test mount the plow on both trucks, make sure it won't hit the front bumper when fully angled, raised and lowered. Meyer had a few different length A frames they used, ranging from 30" - 37" long.

That's all that I can think of right now. Oh, and of course keep a spare C coil on hand.....

~Chuck

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd add a spare hitch pin and hose to your list, and carry at least a quart of hydro oil.

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Actually not just the C coil, but the coil and valve both....and make sure you have a wrench handy that'll fit the valve.