1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought western plow and 96 ford 150

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by woodsman, Oct 26, 2009.

1. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I bought a 96 ford f150 with a western plow on it. I don't know much about plows as this is for personal use. I bought the whole rig for 1100 bucks. I noticed that it has 3/4" Hitch pins that are like 4"long on both sides. I need to put in 1" shorter ones which i have. The problem is geeting them in. I am having a hell of a time putting in the 1" pins due to trying to get proper alignment of the holes. Can anyone please help me out here. I have never had the plow off and did not intend to do so as i am using it to plow my 1500 foot driveway only.

Thanks for any help Jim, pic of truck below,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Drop the blade, put it in float and take the tension off the chain, remove the upper link arms and lean lift frame assy forward and then try changing the lower pins.

3. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thanks i will try that. Now when you say float what excatly does that mean, just down all the way. I am new to plowing with this truck. I did have a 86 blazer with a meyers plow but never had to mess with the plow pins
    Thanks again.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Hold the controller in the down position for a few seconds, this will lock the down valve in the open position. With it in float you will be able to push down on the lift arm and take tension off the chain.

5. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

Thanks so much you have been a great help. I am learning and i already know the western seems to be the better plow. the meyers i had was so slow. This one is fast. The truck has a 302 and a automtic and was a town truck i won at an online auction. It has every record of what was done to it since it was new. It runs great also. again thanks for your help.
    JIm