1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought this today for my urban drives

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by ducaticorse, Jan 20, 2013.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Needs a little frame work, but otherwise in seemingly excellent mechaniical condition. Going to pull the seats and center con this week and rhino line the tub. Carpet is already gone.

Looking for better snow tires than the BFG ATs that are on it. Plow is a Western, and needs the cutting edge flattened out, (it's a little twisted).

97 Shara 4.0 5 speed

new wrangler.jpg

2. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

soft top's are cold... I should know I own a Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 with a soft-top... Also it has no heat- but they are cold just the same no matter what.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need a back blade for it.

4. ducaticorse

from we

Yeah, I know. I actually had one and sold it this September. I didn't realize how much of a PITA it is with a full size where I am, so I sold it. I took on 20 tight commercial residential accounts, and I cant get the F350 into 90% of them because of the way people park, so we have been blowing and shoveling the last two storms. I am looking for a sanely priced hard top this week. It is prewired for defrost, so I just have to put the top on and clip it in. That will help with the low temps. Heck, I have my windows down during clean up the entire time as it is..

5. ducaticorse

from we

Great point. I went there today and bought it, picking it up this week. The plow is a Western, anyone know what model? It's fairly new, maybe three years old. Just made sure it worked, didn't even look for a tag..

6. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Well it will be warmer then blowing or shoveling that is for sure. Good luck with the hunt for a hard top.

7. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

good buy. He can always Install a aftermarket heater.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Great driveway rig.

Saw a guy at the car wash yesterday while washing truck and he had a newer Dakota 4x4 short bed and although small that would also be a great drive truck but he said he wouldn't put a plow on it because it is a 5 speed manual.

That will most certainly save some on your gas bill as well.

9. ducaticorse

from we

Ive already found a half dozen in my area ranging from 500-1000. Now it's just the negotiating game. This past summer I bought one with a litle crack in it for 150... Probably not coming across that deal again though...

10. ducaticorse

from we

It has heat, and ac for that matter. He was talking about them being super drafty with ZERO insulation. It's only mildly warm in there even with the heater on full blast on really cold days.

11. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Looks like a Suburbanite.

12. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Well, a heater is great- but sometimes the soft tops shrink over time and you get gaps then snow, rain and other elements all blow in on you. My middle brother's CJ7 was frigid vehicle because of the ill fitting soft top. I know the new tops are much much better, but, I still think they are cold. If I had a heater it would be in the 45,000 BTU range.

13. ducaticorse

from we

People were mentioning a Dakota to me, but the seating cap is nill. I wanted something I could haul three guys plus me around in.
    This jeep must have 3.73' or maybe even 4.10s in it because first is a crawl gear. I think it won't be an issue jockeying the stick and the controller. Will take a little getting used to, but I'd rather work on a manual tranny/clutch then an auto any day..

14. ducaticorse

from we

Think you are right. Thanks!

Do those bolt in similar to struts?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  15. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I found a site that says it has 3.07:1 differential gear sets in the axles.
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stock-tj-specifications-452871/#post4118404
    Here check it out...

16. ducaticorse

from we

Again, not too sure what they were, I was testing it up in the white mountains in a half inch of snow. Seems to be really tourqy, but the road was slick too. Had the tallest gear set listed in my last tj running 33's and it was a DOG in the sand.

17. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Well, it might have a 4. 10 in it. But it is not listed. Also you're running the stock tires on this right? So if you have a 3.07 and go to a 33 inch tire from a smaller diameter you will show a lack of acceleration and torque in certain applications. But, this guy could have put 3.73's or larger in the truck. I would be surprised given the fact is still running stock tires on it.

18. ducaticorse

from we

To be super technical, the tires aren't stock, but I agree with your thoughts. There was an option for 355's that year though.

19. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

That is probably what you've got are the 3.55:1 gear sets.... which with basically stock tires you will see improvements in torque and low range speed. Which is a bonus for a snow plow truck.

Well , the truck is very nice any way. Do you plan on doing on other add ons to the vehicle?

20. ducaticorse

from we

Now I am going to prob do air bags for the weight and look for a set of killer snow tires.

Spring time I'm going to take the front left and right fenders off and put on tubes. then probably make it look like the one I just sold last Sept lol... Here is the pic.

IMAG0265.jpg