1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bought my truck today.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

no pics because it was dark and phone don't take good pics in dark.

I bought a 1990 gmc 2500 with a 7 1\2 western balde on it unimount.

Plow works fine and looks decent could use some paint here or there.

The truck needs tranny as it doesn't move right now.

The engine starts and runs fine.

Needs rockers both sides and cab corners both sides.

Needs new Catalytic converter as well.

I paid $1000 for the truck and plow together.

The plow though has a weird setup i haven't seen before.

The owner said that it works better then the shoes, i am debating this.

The front blade has a blade attached at the side angled the opposite way for back dragging. now the back drag part is welded right to the plow itself not just bolted up. There are no shoes at all at the area where the mounts are stille there but this back drage blade is welded right beneath there. Is this going to be ok or should i take it off. i am doing residential driveways a bit scared of using it without the shoes.

I have heard of the back drag edge just not setup like this.

What do you suggest i do?

Take it off and affix the original cutting edge only or just leave it alone and use it to see how it works and if it works then leave or if not fix it?

Also the guy had a concrete bed poored into the bed of the truck sorround by 2x4's for weight should i leave this there? i am going to be putting some bags of salt or ice melt back there.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I would say leave both the plow & the cement setup as is. It probably worked for the guy, and it might benefit you (the weight in back AND the backdrag blade). Work the truck for your first few storms to see how it handles everything, and tweak things after. $1000 sounds like a good deal for what you got. Your first storm ought to pay for that
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I havent used shues for 20 years:) on driveways. you get a cleaner driveway with out them.
  4. ScnicExcellence

ok well i will see what happens it is made with steel and i might end up doing some interlock drives that is why i was worried.

The truck also needs drivers side door it is rotted out pretty badly but other then that it is a good truck and once the end of winter hits the bed will be turned into a dump for landscaping, one of those hide a dump things it is just the regular box with the hydo's under it and it dumps the whole box.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you are doing interlocks then just raise the blade a bit after it hits the ground.
  6. ScnicExcellence

I got the truck here this weekend past. have been looking at it, It needs rockers cab corners driverside floor, drivers side door is rusted through so i will fixx all these with my welder some rivots some pl premium and some sheet metal.

The truck also needs a th 400 tranny the 3 speed tranny, i have been told these are better the the 4 speed. is this true?

truck needs some attention to wiring as there is a huge mess with switches here and there and random crap eveywhere.

For 1000$ plus $400 tow fee the truck is good, plow is a 7.5 ft western unimount and works great.

i will be doing all the work to this truck in the next week, and getting it ont he road next week sometime for november.

Can't wait i am excited to get it going and plow some snow.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's tough to beat the old TH-400's in the older trucks.

If it died, PO was hard on it and/or didn't run a properly sized cooler. :nod:
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like something from Ghostbuster!