1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought another Snowbear

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by Goofyexponent, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Well, it's been a couple years since I have been on here, but I am back and sporting a BRAND NEW 82" plow.

I still have the old F250 and she is still running strong with 530 xxx kilometers on her. Transmission gave up and I stuck a 5 speed in her, and I got rid of the twin traction beam dana 50 front end and dropped in a dana 60, track bar, springs and steering linkages out of a 1992 F350. This thing is a TRUCK!!!

We just moved from the country into a little subdivision, LOTS of potential customers to plow for! I paid $1500 for the plow and brackets, and I have already got $1000 worth of deposits to do driveways.

But this year is going to be different. There are 3 of us grouped together under ONE "company" to do residential driveways.

A '91 toyota 1/4 ton, a 1999 F150 SWB 1/2 ton and of course...my F250 with 1 ton running gear. If there is a bad storm, I think I will be doing most of the work lol.

I am expecting my mounts in today or tomorrow, so I will gladly post pics of the plow on my truck, the other two trucks as well as my backup lights, the headlights I will be adding to ALL 3 plows and other little tricks and tips I am going to do like installing grease fittings to all hinge points on the plows.

I have proved once that you can make money with these things, now watch all 3 of us make a PILE of cash......if it ever snows!!!!
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

wow it holds up with a 250/1ton pushing it. Id think you wouldnt feel the plow that well. If you respect there limits a snowbear can be good. Why did you only get the 82"? why didnt you get the 88"?
  3. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Oh ya!! trust me, I am SOOOO careful with this thing it's not funny. First gear, low range and a hair off idle to make sure if I do catch soemthign I can stop before the blade bends. And it's not because snowbear plows are cheap, this thing could bend a commercial blade if you tried to. She weighs in at 7600 pounds full of fuel and no ballast in the bed.

As far as teh 82 vs 88, I would have LOVED to have got my hands on a brand new 88", but due to cash flow, I could only afford the 82". I am going to try and bank some cash for next year, and buy a bigger 88" or maybe even a winter wolf.

Of course I will keep the 82" as a backup incase the other plow goes down for any reason.
  4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Why not get a more efficient commercial plow that you can save time with and handle all the accounts yourself, hence banking the money?
  5. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

The Ford is old, she has 530 000 kms on the clock. I don't want to shorten her lifetime by putting a 7'6" commercial jobby on there if I can help it. I only do small driveways that are like 1 - 3 pushes in total. I think I have 15 lined up. Some places, an 8 foot plow is too large!!

Once I replace the old girl I am going to getmyself a large rplow, or if I get some parking lots I may be forced to get a BIG plow!
  6. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

I got the mounts in yesterday, and I went to the shop at work to put them on. These things are BEEFY!! Not something you would want to hang a 9 foot Western off of, but I won't ever hurt them with that Snowbear!!

I had to remove the front bumper to get at the nuts on teh bolts, but it wasn't too bad. I think it took an hour and a half to run all the wiring, install the brackets and then reinstall my front bumper. Piece of cake!

I am off tomorrow, so I will take pictures and post them.
  7. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

snowbear plow

i,ve got 5yr old snowbear tx75 it,s pushed a lot of snow and is still going strong
    still on the original winch i repainted this year put lights on it works great for me
    it,s on a 99 chevy s-10 4x4 excab 100_0467.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Here she is. Proof that I am crazy enough to stick a snowbear on a 3/4 ton ford with 1 ton running gear lol.

Snowbear 1.jpg

Snowbear 2.jpg

Snowbear 3.jpg

Like I said before, I HAD a snowbear on there in 2009, and it ran AWSOME. The ONLY reason I don't still have it i because I got caught up working for a con artist and I wound up selling it to pay for some food, insurance and fuel. I was NOT very happy over that!

Actually, teh guy that bought it owns Relic's Auto Body near Porter's Lake. We paved his road this fall and I stopped in to see him. He had the plow all sandblasted, painted the moldboard yellow and all the frame work bright red. It's still going strong...and that plow was 2 or 3 years old when I bought it. That makes it like 5 years old now...all it went though was a cutting edge and one winch when I bought it, and one winch when this other guy bought it because he left it outside uncovered all year.

Snowbear 1.jpg

Snowbear 2.jpg

Snowbear 3.jpg
  9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

10. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Well, I just replaced the pins on the frame mount with 3.5"x5/16" bolts with locking nuts. I also run a length of hardened chain and locks to prevent theft....if they want my plow, they are taking the WHOLE truck.

If y'all want some pics of the "security" system I will take some and load them up tomorrow.
  11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

You are planning to keep it on the truck all winter, instead of mounting it for plowing and then storing it when not in use?
  12. Goofyexponent

Goofyexponent Member

Exactly! There are only two reasons for me doing this.

1. I live in a basement apartment of a VERY nice house. I do not have a place to store my plow inside.

2. I live VERY close to my job. So close that in fact my truck BARELY has time to reach operating temperature as I pull into the driveway at work. Not to mention the roads I travel are pretty much BRAND NEW and there are no major bumps or holes. The plow will recieve no extra wear and tear, and my truck won't even know it's on there. If I didn't live THAT close to work, I wouldn't consider leaving the plow on the truck all winter.

I had one of these plows before, and the thing NEVER left the truck. It was on there ALL the time and it never seemed to make much difference to her then, so I can't see much of a difference with this plow.
  13. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

I've got a 7' snowbear on my Excursion as a "Backup."

Can't even feel the thing hanging off the front of it...