1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought another Scout

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dave Meyers, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

This cost me $454 on ebay. Solid floors and frame. It runs, drives, steers and brakes. Doesn't leak or burn oil. 4 cyl, 4x4, and manual everything. 4.27 stock axle ratio, optional 4.88 - haven't counted the teeth yet. It came with a pickup top (half cab) that I am swapping on. The cattle gate has already been sawzoffed the front. Can't decide If I should leave it as is or lift 4" with 33s and flat tow to the trails. I just love having a new project though. It has that fresh old barn smell and everything.

62 scout.jpg

2. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

beautiful. Sounds like you did some searching and found a good one.

Jack it up, put some meats on it, dive into a mudhole and takes some picks along the way

3. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I finally had time to really examine it. Doesnt need too much really. It could beneit from clutch master cyl and slave cyl, bleed the brakes, should be ready for daily use. Lift and meats would be nice. Maybe I'll find the parts cheap. I swapped the half cab on, no one wants to buy the full top so scrap it. It ought to pay $30 or more at today's prices. It's a heavy mug.

62 pickup.jpg

4. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Here is a beautiful older Scout. Certainly a look to pursue, if only I had unlimited funds. Enjoy the pic anyhoo.

anonymous scout 1962.jpg

5. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

Old IH Scouts = Best trucks EVER!

6. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I really love em, I am on #5 or so, and currently have two of them. Like yourself, I have transcended the IH vs Jeep rivalry, and learned the strong points of each. I have owned 4 or 5 CJ 5s and 2 TJs. I sold my last CJ 5 with SBC to get the 73 Scout, and the 62 Scout is very CJ-like in running gear. It has a T 90 tranny and a twin stick Dana 18 T Case like an old Jeep. As you may know mixing and matching Jeep and Scout parts can really meld the best of both worlds.

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Nice.....put a plow on it!:redbounce

8. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I put a plow on my '73 Scout II. I don't think I'll put one on the '62 though. With manual tranny, it would be a bit much to drive, add to that the manual steering with the weight of the plow working against it, ditto on the manual 4 wheel drum brakes. I had that set up before on a '67 Scout 800. It's a lot of work wesport .

9. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Nice find.

10. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

That is NICE

11. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

I had a 1979 Scout II years ago with a Meyer set up and it could not be stopped! It's too bad that alot of them rusted out so bad. We got ours back in 1981 and I remember it already had started rusting at 2 years old! I love my YJ Jeeps though I feel they can't push snow like the Scout.