1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought Another Clunker.....

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MikeRi24, Aug 19, 2012.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I guess I don't NEED another truck, but ever since I had my '94 6.5 Diesel I've always had a soft spot for them and I really love the OBS GMT-400 trucks, so this thing came up for sale and I went and looked at it (BAD idea). As soon as I saw it, I fell in love with it....

'98 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW
    6.5 Diesel
    128k miles
    Wiring and frame for a Boss plow
    .....and it's my color!

Guy wanted $4,400, found out real quick it had a blown brake line, so w wheeled and dealed and I brought it home for $2,500. The body is SHOT but its mechanically in outstanding shape. I'm prob gonna go WAY overboard with it and fix it up real nice. But oh well I need something to do in the winter, especially if we keep having winters like last year with lots of downtime!

My goal for right now is to get it driveable and give it a quick once-over and fix what needs dire attention and get a cheap plow for it. I'm not going to FIND work work it this winter, but I at least want it ready to go as a backup truck. I say that now, but I've already got a line on a southern bed and cab and I'm pricing out new fenders, and some performance parts prsport so it'll prob be completely dismantled as soon as we're done with leaf cleanups lol....by next spring I'd like to have a dump insert for it....and my end goal will be to have it be the only 6.5 around here that will crank out black smoke and burn rubber with 2 yards of mulch in it hahaha
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Did the plow come with it ?
  3. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Great find, take lots of pictures and post the progress.
  4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I will, prob won't be much visual progress until after lawn season is over and I get settled in for the winter.
  5. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I was gonna say that wouldnt be true if you were closer to Syracuse lol! That first price was definitely high for the truck, but a lot better in the 2k area. Would have been sick if it came with a plow. Got a nice light on top too!
  6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

actually part of the negotiation was the light bar, home-brew backrack, transfer tank and tool box came out before I took the truck. Fine by me, I dont have a use for the transfer tank or toolbox and I have a brand new backrack and light bar sitting in my shop for it anyway. I thought even the $4400 wasn't terrible, I looked at a truck a couple days before that was also a '98 Diesel but a 3/4 ton ext cab, and it was pretty rotted out, needed tires but the kid had a bunch of aftermarket performance parts on it and wouldnt take a dime less than $5300....
  7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

are those rims of a newer ford?
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

No way. Those are just plastic chrome covers.

How hammered was he when he came up with a price of $4400? $2k is a great price. Good job on wheelin' and dealin'.
  9. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Looks good, keep us posted! Love that body style!
  10. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

correct about the wheel covers! part of my master plan is to get a set of NBS steel wheels and center caps to match my '99. I thought I got a good deal on it, mechanically it is VERY sound has a newer tranny and transfer case with paperwork from a VERY reputable shop here in town, and has service records going back a number of years also from a VERY reputable diesel shop here as well. The A/C even works haha the only bad part about it is the body is beat up but its a work truck.

the OBS GM is my favorite of all trucks I think!
  11. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

i love those wheel covers!!! any way to tell who makes them or where to buy them!!?? those are for 16 inch wheels right?? truck looks awsome i just purchased a 2000 k 3500 not a clunker but i am going to do some work to it aswell!!
  12. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Theres a name on them, I'll have to look and see what it is
  13. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

some pics....gave it the once over. Needs all brake lines replaced, needs an exhaust, and needs a glow plug relay.

all in all, aside from the dents, the bed is actually REALLY solid, I may talk to my body guy and see if its possible to just fix that rather than getting a whole new bed. The cab on the other hand, is another story...the floor is rotted out so bad that a couple of the cab mounts completely let go, so I REALLY need to find a new cab and fenders. Hopefully soon.
  14. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Anything new?
  15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Looks pretty rough but, not bad deal for $2,500.
  16. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Sort of.....I got a lead on a '99 2500 that does not have a motor but it has a service body and the cab/front clip are supposed to be in outstanding condition. Guy wants to get rid of it for cheap. Its not right around the corner from me, but close enough that I'll go get it. The good news is, he's not in a hurry to sell it, but thats also the bad news....

And for the record, I have no intention of using said service body, that will be sold off. This truck will stay a pickup.

Yeah the body is rough, but its all there. I know I'm going to sink way more into this thing than its worth by the time I'm done with it but I love these body style trucks and I always wanted another 6.5 to hot rod up and play around with. So I guess since my wife won't let me get a Harley yet, this is gonna be my "toy" for now and I'm perfectly ok with that!
  17. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of plow are you going to put on the Harley when your wife lets you buy it. Nice find on the Chevy!!!

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Looks great, good luck!
  19. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

that made me lol....literally laugh out loud haha
  20. Kajun

Kajun Junior Member

That truck looks great compared to a couple of our trucks