1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bought an old boss

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kpmsnow, Nov 21, 2009.

1. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I recently bought an old boss. The type that has the motor and pump that mounts under the hood. It is a straight plow. Just looking to see what people think about these systems, problems, likes, dislikes. Thanks in advance

2. Deco

Deco Senior Member

difficult to get parts if it's real old..'1985 , 86

3. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

yeah depends on how old haha

we had a few 20+ yr old plows come in the shop(boss dealer) and they were all working great, i was pretty surpsied but as the saying goes take care of it and it'll take care of you.

4. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I picked it up extremely cheap it appears to be in good shape aside from needing a cutting edge. Parts are going to be a concern if they are hard to find

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

what type of power unit?

6. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I'm not honestly sure I have always had western plows so boss is all new to me. Their are no tags on the power unit. What type of distungishing charteristics should I look for to define model. It is an under the hood model that's all I know

7. no lead

is it round and long, all metal painted grey? or is it short and square with a white plastic tank?

8. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Long and round

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes most of it is long discontinued but some things never changed and much of the newer replacement parts you'd need are still usable on your old RT1.

If the pump unit dies simply replace it with a current model. Will go right in.
    If the motor dies there's replacements available.
    Nothing in the valve block to give you fits except the valves and coils, those are available.
    Hoses and couplers of course are nothing. Any hydraulic shop will have those.
    If the controller dies they're easy to update.

It would be the hard parts that will be virtually impossible to buy, pushframe, moldboard etc.

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Wouldnt that be the old Monarch model 683 pump?

11. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I really don't know.if it is, is it a good system or one that's gonna be problematic? R parts available for it?

12. no lead

i believe it is the same dinosaur that lives under your hood jeffie.

13. Crash935

Boss used the monarch from 81-84.

No Lead is your contact for parts for that pump. Boss says no service parts available but we know some guys who have the parts and know those pumps really well.

14. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

What years where they made

15. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Sorry posted at the same time u did

16. no lead

they still make them.

17. Crash935

18. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I really appreciate that info. I paid less then 500 for the whole system. I was going to use it as a back up but maybe I'll schedule it a route instead and put one of my older meyer systems as a back up