1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bought an f350....questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SnowPro93, Jan 29, 2008.

1. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I just bought a....

96 F350 Dump
    27k Original miles
    Auto

Here's the deal I bought it from a local college. The frame is cracked and slightly twisted at the leaf shackle. I didnt know if this was a common thing with fords, all i know is chevy's. Also what else should I look for in the truck besides the normal manifold cracks.

Even better is the price....

$600, yeah that says $600.

2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

with a dump on it...i'm assuming somone at the college nearly rolled it over using the dump to twist and crack the frame. it is NOT normal for any frame to crack/twist. That is why you got it so cheap i'm assuming

3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Screws in the column shifter come loose and make the trans shifting real sloppy. The frame cracking is not common, I agree with 2025 above on abusing the truck. The E4OD was not the best trans Ford made, but it can be built to be very strong. IIRC The trans issues usually only happen with the PSD engine. The stock trans cooler is way too small. I would run a trans temp gage, and synthetic or semi-synthetic fluid. I really know nothing about the gas engines. Axles are very strong D60 front and Sterling 10.25 rear (sometimes they used D80 rears on DRW). It is common to add another leaf to the front spring pack for plowing.

4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

I would of bought that in a heartbeat.

5. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

oil pan rot, if you are going to plow with it i would remove the spark plugs and never sieze them every year

6. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

i figured for $600, i could part it out for $600 easily. Besides the crack in the frame the truck is mint no rust on the whole cab, diff covers, nothing. And it's only got 27k miles:)

7. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

Let's see some pics of this $600 beauty!

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I thought the oil pan rotting was a diesel engine thing not a gas engine issue.

9. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I'll take some pics today and post them.

10. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

haaaaaaaaaaaaa wrong the gassers do it all the time o and on the pick ups the wheel wells on the bed rust out

11. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a great deal !!! Get the frame welded and go to work. I had a friend that worked for a towing co. and they had a roll back f-350 ( 01 -03) not sure. Anyways they broke the frame on that like every other week. They just kept geting it fixed untill it was all braced up. I guess they should have done that when it was built !!! Sounds like you have a good find, good luck with it !!!

12. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

posted some pics in the equipments pics section

13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

seen your truck and it looks like a great buy...... i think i would just weld it up and go on , it seems like too much work putting everything on a different frame and what if the new frame does the same thing? anyway good job on the truck!!! i'll give you $1k for it??

14. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

All pickups rust out in the rear wheel wells Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, that is nothing specific to the truck in question.
    I did some checking, the diesels have had a TSB on rusting out oil pans not the gassers. That is not to say some gassers haven't rusted out but not enough to warrant issuing a TSB.

15. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Sorry Jay i'm keeping it, When i put the new frame in I might get rid of it after a year or so....