1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bought a western cable control plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I found a nice western 7 1/2 ft plow for my Suburban. I know nothing about a cable control plow. Also the guy told me I had to take the front bumper off to mount this thing. Anyone have any knowledge of this.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

make sure the unit fits your truck. What truck is it coming off of? The cable controls were excellent plows. They are getting some age on them as they have not been manufactured since 1993. Yes you will have to remove your bumper to do the install. It will end up being spaced away from tje truck. Western use to provide a plastic filler panel to hide the Gap bu they had nothing ti do with operation so if they are not included you can always make you own if you feel they are necessary.

Again you need to make sure the vehicle mount works on your truck as they are no longer available from the factory.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The bumper mounts to the truck side plow mount. The cable control pumps work well. You have to make sure the seal is good on the plate that covers the control area on the pump. I kept mine full of grease and never had a problem. The only problem I had was the heavy spring on the T-stick controller. After 24 hrs it feels like you are lifting the plow with your arm. It also will not let you angle the plow in float. You have to lift it a little before the angle function will work. Think about where you are going to put the T-handle control. The cables need pretty much a straight shot to the pump. Something on the engine, firewall or core support may end up in the way.
  4. me!

me! Member

I have had one on one of my trucks (95 gm) for about 5 years. I had a guy re- build the mount to fit the truck and plow without the bumper needing to be removed. It cost some money, but it was worth it.

There is alot i like about the cable system, its basic, so not alot can go wrong and if it does, its easy to fix. The down side is its not graceful, some years is a pain in the but to get the cables just right. Make sure you know how to adjust it, you may need to in the mid of plowing.