1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought a truck and the guys offering me 2 plow options?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TalontedTSi, Mar 30, 2009.

1. TalontedTSi

TalontedTSi Junior Member

I just picked up a 02 F450 powerstroke today for my business. The truck came with a Meyers plow all setup on the truck already. I was going to have him take the plow off and drop the price but seeing it was only used a few times this winter and was purchased new in 2008 it was not worth the little amount he was willing to drop the price... thus I opted to keep the plow setup on the truck.

The sellers offering me two blade options: First would be a standard steel 8ft blade or alternatively a poly 7.5 blade. Both in great shape.

The truck being as wide as it is I would think the 8ft but the poly plow would be a lot easier to move around and store when now being used. I also could get the plow wings that I have seen in western plows? I am in no way familiar with plows so I figured before I made a decision and picked up the plow I would ask here for some advice. Thanks for your help.

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

sorry but that truck should carry no less then a 9ft maybe a 8.5ft but even that is to small.

3. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

the 8' wont clear past the rear duals when angled. I'd just get the 8' from him and sell it for an 8.5' at least; ideally a 9'

4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I think the whole idea was that the plow was too good of a deal to pass up - and that was the only reason he would buy it.

Either of those plows is a joke on a 450. So given that neither plow fits the truck, unless you just want to buy the plow just to sell it, which would be a PITA to do, especially this time of year, just have the guy keep the plow.

On a side note: Do those two plows interchange on the same mounting hardware/electronics? It could be possible that the guy just has plows sitting around and wants to sell one with the truck to get a few extra bucks.

If you tell us how much extra he wants for the plows it would be much easier to give you advice. Maybe you should bargain harder instead of accepting his terms of accepting a joke plow for the truck. Bu it's tough to say without knowing any figures.

5. TalontedTSi

Gotcha, well thanks for the advice but im going to be stuck with one or the other... which I can always sell one of the blades in the winter time.

The truck already had the mount and wiring all hooked up on it when I went out to look/buy it. He told me he drop a $1000 off the price to take the setup back. Shopping for plow setups for my F350 I knew that I couldnt pay a grand for a plow thats basicially new... not to mention installed/mounted. PLUS on top of all of this, I am going to be selling my truck today so I need this truck to be available to work pretty much any day the weathers nice out from today on. So leaving the truck with him for a day to pull it apart does not seem like a good idea when I need it.

All in all I could yes sell the blade in the fall or winter for a larger blade, or even sell the entire plow setup if I choose to spend the time pulling it off the truck. Knowing its condition I think I could easily get $1500-2000 during the right time of the year.

I guess the real question is... which blade is worth more to me or to resell if I opted to go that route? Again I have not plowed before. Can't say I don't want to get in it down the road but for now I dont know all that much and I wanted to ask you guys here before I made any uninformed decisions.

Thanks

6. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

It seems more people would go for the bigger blade, so for resale it'll likely be easier to sell an eight foot package. I think you will get quite a bit more than a $1000.00 too. I wouldn't be getting wings for it either, just leave that to whoever buys it.
    Good luck!

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

if the 8 ft blade is in good shape and you decide to sell the whole unit I would expect you to get at least 2K for the blade and truckside. I run an 8.5 on my truck and I have a 7.5 backup that came with the truck. The truck was owned by old man river and the 7.5 plow came with it and it was brand new pratically. I went on CL and got a great deal on a whole 8.5 plow setup and not that truck has two plows, two pumps, two headgears. It has two of everything. So if something goes wrong I just flip a part out. Good luck. Lets see some pics of the new truck.

8. TalontedTSi

Thanks guys!! Yea I had no idea which route to go. Nor did I know which would be worth more in the big picture if I did decide to sell it as an alternative option. Ill take the 8ft plow blade and just deal with the moving it around when its not being used. Its going to be heavier for sure but if its more fitting for the larger trucks and worth more id rather go that route.

Yes, it was hard to say OK to dropping a grand off the truck price, losing the plow and atleast a day of the truck being working for me. Figured I could make back a good bit if I opted to sell it off.

Thanks again for the input, yea ill get some pics uploaded once I get some free time. Now I need to go get working to pay the truck off.

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's the same thing I would do. Try and find a plow that would fit the mount on your truck. A 9 footer would be nice for that size truck. Maybe even look into a 9.5' V.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

ask yourself what kind of plowing you will be doing and i like the western ultra mount

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

another option would be to get the 8er and sell just the plow and find the same type of plow just bigger for the brackets and wiring on the truck already.

12. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

a ploy plow accually weighs more than a steel plow, but like said sell whatever plow you get and get a 9 footer.