1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought a Snowbear...

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by hero419, Nov 3, 2008.

1. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I am happy with the quality of the plow and believe it will hold up to my residential use. I will be mounting it on my 1999 Ford Ranger super cab 4x4.

I am not happy with the customer service. I bought it at Sams Club after shopping at Lowes where it was $100 more. The box was new, banded and unopened. When I got it home I laid out all the pieces on the floor and went through the parts list. I was (am) missing a number of parts and fasteners including the springs.
    I called customer service. After being on hold for 30 minutes I was met with a very harsh attitude and they did not believe I was missing any parts. After being on hold for another total of 15 minutes they agreed to send me the parts after I E-mailed a photo of the receipt. I asked in the E-mail to make sure the let me know that the parts would be in the mail (along with the mounting parts) It has been 2 business days and I have heard nothing as of yet.

After saying all that, I hope to be satisfied with this product.

Also, Sams and Lowes had very, very little knowledge of the product. Both stores had to go through a number of people to even realize they sold such a product. Lowes had a counter “mat” that displayed the product and they had no info about it other then the price.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats why you dont buy a plow at sams club:nono:

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

When I bought mine at Lowes they really didn't know much either and it took about a month for it to arrive from Snowbear. I wasn't missing any parts thankfully and the customer service was always great.

Sorry to hear about your problems but I'm sure you'll enjoy your plow.

4. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I had good luck with my Snowbear - I owned it for 12 years. Just sold it two months ago for $250, not bad for 12 years of use.

It held up well, 12 years of 20 driveways times 10-12 plows (Avg) per year or 2400 plows. I went through 1 cutting edge, 1 set of shoes, and 2 winch motors.

You can buy the winch motors direct from Superwinch in Connecticut for around $110.

It is what it is - a $1000 plow, treat it with care and it should last you a long time. Like I said - 12 years and less than $400 in parts over all that time

One piece of advise - keep the winch motor covered when not in use. Rain / freezing rain will work itself inside the motor and freeze it up when it gets cold.

Good luck and happy plowing!!!!!

5. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I have a gravel drive. Should I invest in feet?
    I figured after the first few stormes, I should have a good base.

6. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I defenitly understand where you are coming from.

I sure as heck wouldn't buy a bicycle from Wal-mart.
    of course my bike was more then the plow:eek:

It all depends on the application

7. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I invested in the regular shoes, not the heavy duty ones. If your just doing your gravel driveway, they will definately help, and should last you a long time. I have one account that has a gravel area they like me to plow, and I usually have to keep the blade up an inch.

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I looked at snowbear plows a little bit they look like they are junk you would have bean better off buying a used Fisher or Boss.

9. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

From all the first hand accounts on this site,
    It seems as though looks are deceiving.

10. das fisch

das fisch Junior Member
    from maine

use it, don't abuse it and it will work out just fine for small personal jobs.
    fisher/boss, sure. new $$$, used, condition?

11. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Hero419 - I'm sure it will do everything you need it to do and more.

I was very happy with the 12 years / 2400 plows I got out of mine.

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

again with the boss/fisher kick..... Western or hiniker would have been too, heck, bet snow-way and meyers makes a good plow too.

All picking aside, I have heard good and bad about snowbear. Figure if you are useing it for personal use and remember it not like a regular plow, then it should work for you.... good luck and happy plowing....

13. sday88

sday88 Member

I bought my Snowbear at Home Depot and they had no clue about it. It was the display model that was left in the spring. I had some problems with my mounts and Snowbear was very helpful. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Be careful with the mounts you receive. I have a '97 Ranger and the mounts didn't work. I see from the Snowbear website the '99 has a different part number. For my mounts, there is a tab welded to the mount that didn't allow me to install it properly. I called them and they sent me a new set of mounts without the tab, and a free pair of feet. If you continue to have problems let me know, I have the email address for the "Training and Technical Coordinator" who helped me with my problems.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I had more problems with my Fisher 7'6" MM1 in one snow storm than my snowbear all year. When you buy something used you have no idea how they are treated and the snowbear is plenty strong for plowing snow.

15. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

The mounts came in the mail today. I was assured in an E-mail the the springs and other missing parts were going to be in the mail tomorrow.

I put the mounts on and would have to say that this may be the meakest part of the system. I have mounted a few other plows.

there is one bolt that goes through the frame without a sleeve. There is no real way to tighten it properly without crushing the frame a little. the other end of the mounts are attached around the frame using a plate on the top and two long bolt on either side.

I am more worried about damage to my truck rather than hurting the plow.

Time will tell.

16. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Plumber's pipe nipples work well for sleeves if you have a frame you are worried about crushing.
    And don't mind the basher's of the Snowbear,.... MOST are wannabees and don't understand non-commercial forum anyway.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  17. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

update:

Day 21 after purchase.
    talked on the phone with customer service about missing parts with 2 diffrent people.
    1st person told me parts where on the way and confirmed it in an Email. called back 2 weeks later, they had no record of my call, took part list info and assured me parts would be delivered also confirmed by Email. No parts yet. I sent an Email 2 days ago asking for a Tracking number. No response.

Its as if they don't want me to be happy with there product.

This is the worst experience I have ever had with any retailer. I imagine if I have problems with the plow (if the parts ever come) they will not stand behind it.

18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully it works out for you.
    I have noticed a number of people liking those plows for non-commercial use. Most seem to say they were very well. Seems like it fits your needs and if hopefully you get a chance to use it????
    Good luck.

19. Captain

Captain Senior Member

Sorry to hear of all your troubles. I had my Snowbear for 12 years. I only dealt with Snowbear 3 times in 12 years and each time they were super. First time was getting my mounting kit, then I ordered a new cutting edge and shoes, then another set of shoes.

I also replaced the winch motor 2 times but i bought that direct from Superwinch in CT.

20. mobo

mobo Member
    from Ohio

Sorry to hear about the problems you had. I have had my snowbear for about 5 years and the only problem I ever had was my strap broke last winter on me and I changed it in about 15 min. I order a extra one when I got my mount because I was not sure how long it would last but I have to say 5 years wasn't bad.