1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought A Salter

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs, Feb 21, 2010.

1. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

Well I was on craigslist and found this. It is a Buyers SUV Spreader. It is a smaller unit but will work for what I need it for. I paid $150 for it. Guy needed cash bad. The thing is practically new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know how you guys find stuff so cheap.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

nice, does it come with a cover, hook up looks prety eaisy

4. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

It'll be making you money in no time....one suggestion...I'd put a gate on the bottom so you can drive with it loaded...jmo though...I know your pretty handy so it wouldn't be too hard...I have a couple of these on the resi trucks...they work good (they have the gate on them)..

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

idk why but on my contractors the motor is inside the bin part and not on the bottom, but that motor is not coverd up so dont hit any snow piles, if you drive with it loaded; when you drive the salt gets packed down and sometimes wont spread, then just give it a good kick and it should work

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

How do I put a gate on it???

7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

yep cover is on the mower deck right on the side of it.

8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

What are you doing salting things??? Isnt that too much work, now you gotta get out of the truck to fill it!

9. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I've got a pic on here someplace...it covers the bottom of the spreader opening...just sliding....I'll find it and post it on here for ya...

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=71476&highlight=salter (not a good pic but you get the idea)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ehhh it makes me more money im not gonna complain.

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya I will have to do the same. I was wondering about that clogging and stuff. And I didnt see anything to stop it from comming out when you shut it off

12. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Like the other guys said just give er a kick when she's a little packed down...mine don't have the v piece in the hopper....

[​IMG]

Heres a pic of what I was talking about...you should be able to just drill the holes to match a sliding gate....it'll save you time trust me...

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

cool humvee I will have to check that out tomarrow might be to fab something up. other than that how is the salter overall? any complaints?

14. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

No complaints whatsoever...of course I fried the motor on one of them....I just went to the local motor shop and they hooked me up with a 12v motor...haven't had any issues since them...I sealed everything with liquid tape though....and I placed a 18" by 24" piece of plastic on the truck side of the salter...keeps the salt off the truck...it's the grey plastic in the background..I also ran the wires up through the tube to the top so that the wires weren't in the salt all the time.

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have the bigger version of that and i get salt bridging ALL the time, but that's because i'm using straight salt with the dust crap in it which it is not designed to be used with, so i have to get out and give er' a kick every little while. Otherwise for the money i paid for mine used i couldn't beat, paid for itself several times already!

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Salting has good money in it. So easy and fast and usually quite a bit more income then one would have if they only plowed.

17. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

hey LJ one of our accounts gave us one of those since we were doing the salting there now and i gotta admit that lil thing may be small but it saved our butts alot of times...im not a big fan of buyers at all (very bad luck with em) but as along as u dont back in to any snow banks and keep up with the maintence ur fine good buy

18. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

oh quick tip if it bridges up boss man just slams on the brakes a time or 2 and its good

19. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That thing does look brand new.....You Crook.
    Looks like you just need a screen to keep the clumps from reaching the bottom. A guy I know used pieces of a shopping cart to make a screen.

20. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

Nice find! Chris