1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought a plow thanks guys

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pats plowing, Sep 17, 2002.

1. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Well I finally bought a plow. I went with the Curtis snoway 3000 8ft. Price was $3050 installed up $300 from last month but i talked to him down to 3050. Dealer and factory located right around the corner. Knowledgable dealer showed me all the good/ bad points of the plow. Open during storms etc.
    I was looking at new trucks, fisher plows everything and I had a few jobs that came to me, my father told me get it and guess whats its going on soon. I just want to thank everyone for putting up with me and giving input to my decision.
    I just hope for a profitable snow season.

Ps. I was having trouble with 4*4 on my f250 (1995) It hasnt been used in months but it was jerking me all over. It took forever to actually get the shift to 4*4 low and then i couldnt get it back to 2H. It made some grinding noise as well. I checked underneath, its clean but rusted and I couldnt check the transfer case since i couldnt undo the fill part. What do you guys think is my problem? I will try again tomorow and then if need be bring it to the mechanic.

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My driver had the transfer case lever on my '97 sieze up and then break off in his hand. What I did with the new one was to drill it and install a grease fitting, never had any more trouble.

If yours isn't broken, you can remove it, clean the pivot point, then drill it and put in the fitting. Before you remove it, take a look and see how you can access it with the grease gun. I think I remember putting on a 90 degree fitting on the front side of the lever.

3. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Pats,
    Congrats on the Curtis. I think you'll like it. Hopefully, you'll get to use it this year !!

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Pats, for now you can try soaking the linkage with penetrating oil. Even if you go the route Pelican suggested, it will help when you go to take it apart. I try to soak parts for a week before I try to remove them. It worked wonders when I did a body lift on my 77 Chevy years ago.

~Chuck

5. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

Just wondering what did the dealler tell you the bad points were?

6. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Yeah, I would like to know the bad points too.

I was thinking of buying one myself.

and no I am not related to Curtis plows

7. pats plowing

Heres a list of what i can remember
    positives:
    sronger 4ft support behind blade(" stronger than a fisher")
    hide away hydraulics
    better angling for scraping and backdragging
    quick mount setup
    hide away setup under truck hard to see
    27yrs here
    factory/dealer
    negatives:
    price jumped like crazy since last month up $300
    not popular here no truck mfgs back the plows
    only 1 yr warranty
    hideaway hydraulics i believe will be frozen in the winter since it sits lows by the snow. Ill need to show a pic for you guys to see
    no trip edge blade like fisher but dealer said this was better the truck wouldnt bounch all over the place

overall heavyduty unit with easy mount. I wanted a quick minute mount. I decided with them since closest fisher dealer that was reasonable was 45 min away too. Overall I am happy and I am leaving to go work on the truck. Thanks for the help guys.

Rob, im praying for snow! ive heard the forecast is for a hardhitting winter.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I find it funny how all the dealers who don't sell Fisher or Diamond love to slam a trip edge.

9. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

And I'm sure the trip edge dealers slam the style where the whole plow trips. I personally think each have their place and it really is more of a personal preference as to which type is better for you . In my mind it's sorta like the Ford / GM / Dodge discussion. Each will slam each other, and each has their followers. It's up to the individual to decide what is true and needed vs. what is sales hype or fluff.

P.S. On a sdie note: Curtis is not a full trip either, it only trips about 1/2 way before it hits some stops so it will not lay flat like a western

10. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Curtis has a v plow now, and is coming out with a trip edge plow and an HD plow for the 450/550 size trucks. Just some inside info.

Bryan

11. pats plowing

big trouble

I had the truck out of 4*4 no light on and not in neutral, go to drive it dont move hit gas and im up around 4000rpm going 10mph. Its all messed up i think the tranny could be shot. Working on it again today but i may go take that 0%apr on a 02superduty. Man this truck has been a pain since i bought it. NEVER BUY USED!

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not wanting to get into the debate over trip edge vs. full trip (do a search) I will agree that each has their place. Heck, I run a Meyer on one truck and have had no problems with it. I would not buy a full trip blade new in my area. I am sure that the comment is the same for trip edge dealers describing full trips. That was my point.

The Curtis plow is made and in this case was bought in MA. This is a traditional Fisher/Diamond area. Trip edge plows have been around here and proven for a long time. Meyer and Western have also come in with full trips at less cost. Now Boss and Curtis. Boss made a trip edge blade specifically to compete in the Northeast. As their brochure says "trip edge can handle the heavy wet snows". Curtis on the other hand, made in the area, decides to put down a proven system. The dealers are even more well known for this.

Maybe it is the same for Fisher and Diamond dealers in the midwest. Seems to me if people are making plows specifically for a region then must be a good idea they are taking.

13. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Pat , sounds like you don't have the transfercase fully engaged.
    Also, a friend of mine has a curtis on his 97 f350 and he loves it. He say's the plow has been flawless. As long as condensation does not form in the pump( can happen to any plow) it won't freeze.

14. pats plowing

update

After hours trying to check transfer fluid, i couldnt get the fill nut off. I used a pipe and got it off, checked it and went to a dealer. I looked at a new one and i found out someone had twisted my 4*4 shift upside down. I was reading it the wrong way i just thought it had come that way since i needed to use large pliers to move it. Twisted it around, sprayed it with wd40 and presto. The lever moves from 4l to N to 4h to 2h finally. It is working again and i already booked the appointment for next week on the curtis. Thanks again guys.

15. Mike Plow

Mike Plow Junior Member

congratulations on the purchase of the curtis plow,you will
    like the way it scrapes and backbladles.The main diff between
    the curtis plow and a trip edge plow is the pivot point on the
    trip frame the low pivot point were the trip frame connects to
    the blade it allows the plow to hold more snow load. and trip
    harder the attack angle of the blade gives better scraping
    it will not trip in heavy wet snow. I have used fisher plows for
    20 years and have always like a trip edge plow vs full trip
    the curtis plow with hold the snowload better than the
    other full trip plows.It was designed to give full trip but