1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought A Pallet Of Rock Salt Today

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by thelettuceman, Mar 16, 2015.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Price came out to $7.15 bag / 50#. All set for 2015/16 season.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

A pallet for the season? Is that supposed to be a good price?

3. thelettuceman

Last pallet I bought came out to over $10.00 / bag. Small time operator here. The pallet I bought plus what I have left over from the prior pallet will last me 2 seasons with normal winters in our area. Not every customer gets salt. I work out of my 1 car garage so I am not looking to get "big time"

4. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Is this a joke? It is St. Patrick's Day, not April Fools Day.

5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Do not tease us...we just finished winter.

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I hear ya on keeping it small but that price is rough. I guess your location doesnt help

7. thelettuceman

No joke. Just getting ready for next winter.

8. thelettuceman

Not worried about price. I charge my customers accordingly. I expect to pay more for bagged salt than bulk. This is the only way I can store it.

9. Absolute87

Absolute87 Junior Member

No matter how small you over payed for bag rock salt in maryland, especially if your buying for next year.

10. thelettuceman

Not arguing with you but... How can you know what the price will be for next season?

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If he feels he got at least an OK price and can get paid accordingly for it then who cares?

12. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

I buy a pallet at a time also... in DE... you sir should shop around more!
    My cost per 50lb bag is about $5.50. Last year $5.15 to $5.75. H@ll, I've seen it a Home Depot for about $7.25, one bag at a time.
    I can get a good ice melt blend for what you pay.
    Small time? You have a garage. I don't. Mine is in a storage unit.
    And why are you going to store this over the summer? I've got some leftover salt... wanta buy it? payup

13. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

$490 + tax per pallet is crazy. Iv'e never seen it that high even at a convenient store for two 25lb bags. Find a new supplier, the one you are using is a crook.

I'd spend the summer asking lawn companies if they do snow work and if they do ask them where the buy salt.

A 50lb bag from a legitamate salt supplier should have been around $6.50 a bag tops at the start of this winter and $5 bucks now.

I predict historically normal pricing on salt come this Aug/Sept.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

it was $5.49 at home depot the other day.......usually they will deal just to clean out stock

15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

LEO...yep often let you have them at 50% or more discount if you take them all.

Load em up I used to tell em

16. thelettuceman

Sam's Club had it for $8.xx a bag in January. Did not need any. Lowe's / Home Depot around my way did not have any the day I bought a pallet.

17. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Down to $3.50 a 50 pound bag now
    I will buy 250 tons before next winter for one shed and will build a second one at a site I just signed for 5 years that will hold 100 tons usually pay $95 a ton delivered will be at $80 a ton in off season

18. Tony nyc

Tony nyc Junior Member
    from NYC

Who do you usually buy from? I do work in the 5 Boros mainly. Used to just do exterior maintenance (brickwork, pointing, etc) but got pulled into the plowing side 2 years ago. Used 150 tons all bagged at $250 per ton last season, am figuring 200 tons for next year given that I picked up a bunch of sites very late last season. I've bought 2 f350s and will install 2 cube bed spreaders so I have to switch to bulk. So two questions: how many tons can I store in 3500ft? And who should I be buying from? Much appreciated.

19. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I went to cm bulk handlers in nj
    My supplier couldn't keep up with my demand

20. Tony nyc

Tony nyc Junior Member
    from NYC

Thank you for that. I found the guys at east coast salt in Jackson nj very good to deal with, they focus on bagged product though. Can I trouble you to ask how many tons I could store in 3500sq ft? The ceiling heights are 23' but I'll have to block the walls, they are metal and wouldn't handle much of a load. Do you think I can get 200+ tons in there? I have 3 40' shipping containers I can clean out for overflow if need be.