1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought a GPS

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Nov 23, 2008.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I bought a low end Garmin today for $150 I almost took it back. The instructions for it were simple but didn't answer so many questions. I finally figured out that I can save all my customers in "favorites" and it automatically puts them in a distance order from my home but not in the order that I might travel. I will do my own list on paper in the order that I would my residential properties and if I get lost will use this as a back up. Is there any other thing I might not know how to program this GPS to get even more use out of it when I'm plowing? thanks if you can help.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Post up the model #, there are many differences between the Garmin models.

3. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

it will tell you the quickest way to food and fuel the only other thing you need when plowing

4. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Its the 200c

that is cool :nod:

I couldn't afford one of these until they brought down the prices but it really would have saved me some $$$ over the years I'm guessing all the wasted fuel searching for homes.

5. stroker79

I just looked up his model and surprisingly, his does not have that feature.

6. stroker79

Your unit is a baseline unit but as long as you have the address it will tell you where to go which is pretty much the only thing you need them for. I have a model just a few steps up from you (260W) and like it but some them have so many features that it gets to be a little too much and you dont even end up using most of them.

7. Green Grass

that sucks

8. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I'm looking at it right now and it has "points of interest"...food...fuel...transit..lodging...shopping...bank...parking...entertainment...recreation..attractions and hospitals.

9. Green Grass

so it does have food in there

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Garmin's are awesome, but, it is still the basic model. No offense, but spend $150 on a GPS and get a $150 GPS. Spend $500 and get more out of one. I bought one that would suit MY needs and I am happy with it.

11. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

how much is the monthly subscriptions to GPS services??? No one ever discloses that on the sale flyers

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

$0...............;)

13. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Yep, just buy the unit and plug it in.

Bought a Garmin 760 for my mom last year, she loves it. Wired up another lighter plug under the dash and routed the cable up the a-pillar with the mount in the upper corner of the windshield.
    More hidden that way in case she doesn't remove it, you really can't see it from the outside unless you are looking for it. Bought another mount and cable and did the same thing in my dad's truck so that they can take it with in either vehicle.

14. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Bought 4 tomtom's, basic,for the tractors. Hopefully it will speed things up.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's a good idea. Where did you get the other accessories? That's the same model I have, the 760. I love it.

16. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Ebay.
    Seller had the cable and mount as a pair. Garmin Brand ones, there are quite a few aftermarket ones.

The female lighter plug I bought at Auto Zone.

Easy to slip the cable behind the a-pillar cover and bring it out at the very top by the windshield, keeps it pretty stealth.

I got the idea from a buddy of mine.

Here's a pic of the setup on his truck:
    [​IMG]

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Nice.............

18. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Yep, I like it a lot better than just plopping it in the middle of the windshield or on the dash with the cord hanging down to the lighter or power point.

19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I can't wait until someone comes out with one of these with routing software...that will put all the stops in a logistical order. Imagine if it did this, and held a number of cells with around 15 stops in each, and a total of about 4 to 500 stops total.

20. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Good to see you're still around Runner.

I can see that working for the lawn work in the summertime, but to put plowing routes in a logistical order, I can't see that working the greatest. We're usually good to go with the first 3-4-6 stops in a storm, but after that there's usually closer spots to plow, but the ones that open first are farther away, and then double back.

It's not miles upon miles, usually just 1-2 miles apart, but still depending on when the snow starts / stops, there's usually a change in the schedule.