1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought a 2005 2500HD, plow swap question.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SnowMatt13, Mar 17, 2007.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If you read a thread a little bit down in this forum, I totaled my 2001 2500HD in an accident. I bought a 2005 2500HD Ext Cab S.B. today. Only a 6.0L, couldn't justify the duramax. Anyway I kept my plow half of my unimount plow. The plow frame on the old truck was bent. Anyway my question is, can a unimount frame fit an '05 or do I have to convert to an ultramount?:help: Either way, does anyone have a used unimount frame they want to part with if it'll fit, or an ultramount one if it won't?? I will get pictures up of the wrecked one and the new one when I pick it up next week. Thank guys for your help as usual:) :salute:

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I'm not a western guy but I do think it should work. I know from the older style gms like your old one to the newer styles like your new one there is a little difference in the mounting. I had a boss plow mount from a 01 chevy go onto a 03 and there was a difference. What the difference was I don't know?. I have seen a truck around my area with a unimount frame on his truck and I have also seen the ultra mount on a 04 so it should work. Hope this helps.

Ryan

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

mount

you will not be able to get a new unimount ,they do not make them any more! you will prob have to get a ultra mount kit and use the adapter kit to unimount.you might have a problem if you have to go to a isolation module system if you do not have it already.good luck!

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Your Unimount will bolt right up. The frames are the same from a GM 01 2500hd to a 05 2500hd. You will need a different wiring harness though because of the way the lights are wired differently on an 05 compared to an 01.

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Will....I was pretty sure they would. I know the wiring will be different. I have no problem buying new wiring, I actuallly prefer to do that with a new truck. I wasn't looking forward to buying an ultramount mount and a conversion kit. Thanks for the response.....BTW know anyone with a used unimount that will fit it that want to sell??

6. mole

mole Senior Member

I just bought a 2500 hd 2005 and noticed that the front end sits so low to the ground do you guys use the timbriens on these?. I just switched my boss rt3 from a ford 250 did'nt really notice how low the front end was till we got under there. any suggestions would be great

7. mole

mole Senior Member

snow matt 13 is your front end sitting low? I have the same truck as you.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

How low is low?? you could start by cranking the t-bars up first...

9. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

unimount

I am thinking about trading my 03 HD and getting a new style HD. Yesterday I called the Western dealer about keeping my unimount plow and putting it on the new truck. Like was stated before you cannot get new unimount mountin kits. To convert to the new style mount and the black box would be about 2 grand for parts only. They also said that 04 and newer needed this black box so the computer on the truck would not be sending out false codes. The dealer also told me that at this time you had to have the plow prep on the new HD. The plow prep is not available on all the new HDs now so I don't know if I'm going to trade or not. If I do I'll have a unimount for sale.

10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

It should bolt right up. GM didnt change the frames from the 01-07 hds to the new style HDs.

11. mole

mole Senior Member

I'll measure it when I get it back. When I saw it today It looked like the bracket was about 6 to 10 inches off the ground. It almost looks like I would bottom out going up a an approch on a normal drive way.

12. mole

mole Senior Member

that's with the plow off.

13. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Ive got the same damn problem... about 6 - 7 inches of clearance with the plow off. 2006 2500 HD, problem solved by cranking the bars. I also added 285/75/16 tires which should help even more.

The ultra mount is fantastic tho for summer ground clearane. Pull the pockets off and its nearly stock and you cant even tell I have a plow. They didnt have to cut my valance at all, tucked it up a hair and all the wires tuck nicely beind the bumper:redbounce

14. mole

mole Senior Member

What do you guy's mean by cranking the bars?. ive seen this in the last 4 posts can u explain this to me?.

15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

GM trucks use torson bars instead of leaf or coil springs on the front. If you look under your truck you will see these long bars round from the front A arm to the center cross member. The cross member should be around the middle of your front doors. Where they meet the cross member there are adjustment screws. by tightening these screws you effectively increase the pre-load on the bars, thus increasing ride height. The general feeling is that you can get about 1 inch of increased height with out having to change anything (typically around 3 full turns of the adjustment screws). If you go more the front end will most likely have to have an alignment, and longer shocks or spacers will be needed to stop the suspension from bottoming out on the shocks(this is when the suspension extends not compresses). RATLOVER posted a small how-to on cranking the torsion bars here http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=21945&highlight=Torsion+Bars.