1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bought 1st desiel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Turfmower, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I just bought a GMC with Duramax with Allison tran , Truck is getting its body installed a maunder II 2/3 cu yard dump bod and a 8 1/2 ft Ultra mount on it. I should have it in 3 to 4 week. I needed a shorter truck as plowing driveways with a 12 ft Rack body is a pain in the ass.

Is there any thing i should do with truck as far as break in before I plow with it? I'm guessing the truck will have few hundred miles on it when i get do to it being driven to get the body installed.

2. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Congrats on your new ride.

On engine breaking in, I guess the old "500 mile" break-in period is still valid for new engines today. Basically, I guess the manufacturers don't want you to beat the engine for the first 500 miles. I'd just try to take a few long rides to get that 500 miles out of the way fast. Plus too and also, you're NOT supposed to allow the engine to run at the same speed for long periods of time during those first 500 miles, i.e., don't drive on the thruway with the cruise control on at the same speed for long distances.

I remember reading a technical paper put out by a Saab engineer a few years back. He claimed that an engine wasn't really broken in until it had 10,000 miles on it.

That seems to be consistant with what I've seen over the years. My new cars and trucks always seem to have a tight engine for the first 10,000 miles. Thereafter, the engines seem to rev a little more easily. Maybe I'm just imagining that. Anyone else ever notice that at 10,000 miles your truck's engine seems to spin a little more freely?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of diesel engines. For my uses, I prefer gas engines. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck, so there's no need for me to spend another $5000 for the diesel.

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a cheapskate, and so I'm too cheap to get a Duramax!!!

Those Duramax diesels really seem to be getting popular. My cousin just got a '04 4-door Silverado 2500HD. He tows a fifth wheel trailer and various other trailers for work, camping, snowmobiling, etc. He also uses the truck for work as he owns a concrete firm, and he's the one who drives all over doing estimating, etc. So, he's hoping to save some big bucks with the Duramax. It seems they really have a winner with that engine. Plus too and also, they don't have a piston-slap problem with the Duramax. (At least, I hope they don't... right?)

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Maintenance: with any diesel, maintenance is the key to longevity. Stick to the reccomended oil change intervals, more frequently in dusty conditions, stop and go. Don't save money on cheaper filters. Try to always let it warm up, don't use it for short trips if possible. Diesels are great, economic motors, but if you keep it over 100k, be ready for the higher ticket items: injectors, injector pumps, glow plugs.

4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

My friend's dad has an 03 duramax, and has made the comment to me that the engine didn't seem to "break in" until he had at least 10K on it. He said at that point the fuel economy started getting better and the engine "felt" like it had more power. As true with diesels, there can be longer intervals of time and mileage between services, but keep up with them. They are and will be the simplest thing you can do to keep that truck running for a long long time. :)

5. myo

myo Senior Member

Congrats on the new truck, you will love the duramax, I do and I'm sure there are many others out there too. As far as break in period, my dealer said first oil change at 2500 miles, but he said drive it like you will every day.For my first oil change, I put in Rotilla Synthetic 5W- 40 and change oil every 6000-7500 miles.

I have 31100 miles on it since march 17 and it runs very strong and love it. Good luck with it and post some pics of it when you take delivery.

6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I was just at dealer it wont be back from body company till end of January :cry: