1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bottom trip edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BeastMaster, Nov 6, 2010.

1. I am considering a 7.6" HD Series w/ the Min. Mt.2 system. (used). I'm told it has the bottom trip edge. It is somewhere around a '02-'03 model.

My Question: What if you hit something taller than the bottom trip edge ? Wouldn't that be a direct impact to the entire plow and truck causing damage ?

The price of this installed, including fabricating to my particular truck ('98 Dodge 3/4 ton) is $2,250 at a dealer.

I'd like you guys opinion on this before I chunk down the $$. I've never owned a full size plow b4, just been using my ATV the last few years.

You can hit me direct too if you like.

crayls@embarqmail.com

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

7.5' is a little small for a 3/4 ton IMO. 8' would be a much better choise IMO. If the plow is in good shape $2,250 sounds like a pretty good deal. I have never hit any thing taller than my trip edge. But if you did it would probably damage the plow and probabaly the truck also.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup.

But, the angle rams will also provide some protection, if the whole blade can swing back.

4. whitelite

whitelite Member

I don't know about others here but I've got the bottom trip edge and I hate it. It trips at just about anything and if the snow is heavy it doesn't kick back like it's suppose to. Mine is a 7' blade on a 98 Dodge 2500 diesel. I even bought an extra fisher spring and welded so now it has 4 springs plus I also replaced the other springs that came with the plow---it made a little bit of difference, but it still trips way to easy. Everything else is top notch. but this design in my opinion is awful. If I had the choice I wouldn't buy this again.:mad:

5. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Many thousands of these plows out there and I haven't heard many complaints on the trip edge design causing damage.

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That reason above is another reason to go with an 8' plow with a 3/4 ton truck.

7. Now I'm considering an 8' Super Duty Boss for $4,407.00 installed. I gotta let the dealer know which way to go tomorrow morning so he can order the mount. Whichever I choose is going to be installed Thurs. They tell me installation will be an all day affair, and they do a BUNCH of plow work in OH. So...glad I'm not trying it myself...and I'm pretty handy too.

8. plowguy43

I like Fisher plows a lot but I'd go with the Boss. Faster hydraulics and a better attack angle for scraping, plus the superduty has the trip edge like Fisher.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Another advantage of trip edge plows is that they save transmissions.

10. mercer_me

You can get it with a trip edge or trip blade.

11. How does a trip edge save transmissions ?

If I get the Boss, I'm not going for the trip edge model but for a super duty straight blade. I'm thinking the trip edge will be problems if you hit something higher than the trip edge.

12. mercer_me

When the whole blade trips it stops you dead. With a trip edge the blade just jumps and the edge trips and you just keep going. What are you plowing? (parking lots, residential, ect.)

13. Plowing mostly residential drives and a couple of small lots.

14. mercer_me

I highly doubt you are going to hit anything taller than the trip edge.

15. plowguy43

If you hit something above the trip edge then the plow will ride up it not stop dead. That is unless you hit a pole or tree then it doesn't matter.

16. mercer_me

Exactly, a trip blade realy doesn't help you that much.

17. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

The new fishers are faster and have a 70 degree attack angle but if ur choice is a 7.6 fisher or a 8' boss go boss. U do not want a tiny plow on a 3/4 ton. Its like a fat guy on a moped, ya it will work but it aint right.

18. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

Plus if u hit something taller than a trip edge it would F up ur day with a trip edge or trip blade. Trust me...

19. plowguy43

Your talking about the Xtreme V or the Xblade in regard's to the attack angle. As to the faster hydraulics- thats only the Xtreme V or XLS. The HD's and Xblades (straight blades) are all still using the insta act pumps that are definitely slower than a Boss. They aren't very slow or anything, just not as fast as a Boss.

20. Called the dealer and ordered the mount for a Boss. Going w/ the straight blade, 8' Super Duty Boss.
    For a guy (me) who lives where 3 snows a season is avg. and none of them are usually over 6". Sometimes we get 8"-10" at a crack, but not usually.
    The last 3 winters have seen 3-4 good snows of 4" or more up into March.
    So...it'll take awhile to pay for this baby !