1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

both meyers turn signals flash when blinkers on

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cherokeeman01, Nov 28, 2012.

1. cherokeeman01

cherokeeman01 Junior Member

hello,just hooked up plow to make sure everythings ok and was working turn signals and when i have one on the other one blinks real dim..anybody had this problem?:confused:

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You have bad connection to negative. What is happening, is that because the negative is not hooked up properly, it is picking that up through the the other bulbs/filaments.

Pop the covers off the plow signals and check the bulb sockets for continuity to the battery negative terminal. You will find that there is none. Trace it to the point where the negative is failing and repair it. It is probably going to be in one of three places;

1) The plugs that hook the plow lights to the vehicle.
    2) The point where the green wire comes out of the plow light harness, vehicle side, and attaches to the vehicle body.
    3) The bulb socket(s) themselves in the plow lights. Make sure that the bulb base is making proper electrical contact with the socket.

If its none of these, then its going to be a bad wire... somewhere. You can trace which segment if wire at least by checking at the plug that connects the plow lights to the vehicle.

Now question for you; is this happening when EITHER blinker is on? Or when one in particular is on? If it is one in particular, then it is more likely to be the plug for that side -- the electrical course would be blinker --> bulb base --> parking light --> harness --> opposing plow light parking light --> bulb base --> negative. If it is both, it is most likely to be the common negative connection to the vehicle body. Course blinker --> bulb base --> parking light --> harness --> opposing parking light --> bulb base --> blinker --> truck blinker --> negative.

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you need the wiring diagram you can get it off hte meyers website

4. cherokeeman01

blinkers

i just tore front nose off to run down wires,i ended up puttin new harness in for marker lights.it unplugs under hood.I went to pull a part and got one from another cherokee.hooked it up and it still does it! It only does it when i have plow lights plugged in.The drivers side of the myers harness has a yellow wire and a black wire.I put the yellow wire to the green(running light hot on the light socket)and the black to the brown(blinker wire).On the pass side the myers harness has a yellow wire and a white wire.I again put yellow to constant hot on socket and white to black(ground)on socket..I checked switch inside to make sure wires were on right.put in new flasher also......:confused:

5. jasonv

from kannada

Ok, first off, cars do NOT HAVE a ground. They have a positive and a negative. When you're wiring your house, you have a ground, neutral, and "hot". "hot" delivers **BOTH** positive and negative RELATIVE to ground. Neutral and ground are actually duplicates of the same thing. In some cases electrically tied together at the breaker panel. Think of it like a "duplicate". Ground is called ground, because it is, quite literally, that thing you walk on. An electrical connection to the surface of the planet.

NOW, you wired it wrong.

There are a bunch of different meyer's wiring harnesses, so you can't just guess by the wire color, BUT....

The BLACK wire is definitely for NEGATIVE. Not blinkers or parking lights. Hook the black wire up to the vehicle's chassis or the negative terminal of the BATTERY.

The two wires that are the same color are BLINKER wires. In your case, you seem to have a right and left YELLOW wire. Those are your blinkers.

The WHITE wire is for the parking lights and feeds BOTH SIDES of the plow lights. You only need ONE connection to the vehicle.

6. cherokeeman01

Hey jason,i went to the myers plow site and clicked on tech support then to plow light systems.I went down to trucklight #0703 the 12 wire toggle switch .This is the harness i have and it states black which i hooked to the green on socket which is hot (running lights)and yellow per both sides is turn signals(hooked them up to tan,which is turn signals on socket)The white wire comming from myers harness is the ground which i have running straight to battery.Now i rechecked everything including 12 pin toggle switch hook up and everything is to par with myers hook up...now with toggle switch off and plow lights hooked up everything works as it should!! running lights and turn signals on both hoop and cherokee!!when i flip switch on for plow lights im getting feed back when i turn turn signals on(both sides blink ALONG with cherokee blinker lights!!! sooo im at a loss....anybody???????

7. jasonv

from kannada

Cars have no ground. Period.

You have no negative.
    This is not a theory, it is a fact.

8. cherokeeman01

Ok I have no ground..I hooked white wire to negative on battery. Black to running lights,yellow to turn signals on both sides like meyers site says!running lights work turn signals work when plow light switch is off.turn switch on to work plow lights I now have both sides blinkers blinking on hoop and cherokee...

9. jasonv

from kannada

You think that because the wire is hooked up somewhere, that you have negative? Did you check to see if that wire even conducts? The ONLY thing that the blinkers and headlights have in common, is the NEGATIVE. The fact that changing a switch that controls ONLY the headlights, affects the BLINKERS, PROVES that it is a problem with negative.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012