1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boston Snow - Overboard a bit?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bolensdriver, Jan 27, 2005.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

A whole week of school closed... do you think they've gone a bit overboard with this?

They say the roads are narrow and they need to move more snow. I'd figure they would of gotton the plowing done by now, and snow removal. Your opinions?

2. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

I don't think its overboard. Where are you supposed to put 35" of snow from the last 2 storms. They plow it out of the street and the people throw it back in the street. It needs to get hauled out. I have seen pictures where the piles at the intersections are 15' tall. They need to get the streets cleared and the sidewalks cleared so the kids have some place to walk. I know in the town I work, the snowbanks at the edge of the road are 4' high. Running out of room to put snow.

3. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I don't know if it's overboard, but I do know what I see, and in my town they just weren't able to keep on top of things quick enough. Just when they got the schools cleaned out and they began working on clearing the sidewalks around town, more freakin snow. Add that to the fact that it's been single digit temps nearly every day.
    Interestingly enough, my best friend lives in Canton (next town over) and her kid had school yesterday when all of the surrounding towns were closed. Guess Canton either has more help with snowplowing or they have a better game plan.

Edit: This afternoon they just started clearing the sidewalks on the main drag near my house. I think they cancel school if all the sidewalks in town aren't cleared because lots of kids still walk to school.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Roads are black and wet, all plowed very well. I was in the city today, except for parking spaces that are snowed in, everything is in fine shape. Everyone else has work, i can't see why we can't go to school. The only day we should have had off was yesterday because we got 10" during the day, the rest everyone should have been able to get out of their driveways. The roads have been in great shape around here since sunday night, all the towns are capeable of plowing and removing the snow and all streets are plowed and passable. Snowbanks are HUGE but its not a problem, people deal with that all the time in snowier areas of the country. My opinion: Monday was sunny and cold, roads were good but i can understand not having school in order to give people a little extra time to get rid of 3' of snow. Tuesday, sunny and cold absolutely no excuse for not having school. Wednesday, it snowed 10" school should have been canceled and was for me but for Boston, the superintendent decided to have school and then ended up sending the kids home at 12 or so which was dumb. The superintendent then over reacted and closed for the rest of the week. Dumb. These are the people that are supposed to be making informed decisions for us. Today, there is no excuse at all for not having school again it is sunny and cold road are black and wet yesterdays 10" all cleaned up no problem. I just hope I have school tommrrow, there is no plowing left to be done, I finished helping a company do condo parking spaces and tight areas this afternoon now the plows are off the trucks until it snows again tuesday. Iam getting sick of not having school, I got plenty of money from all this but its time to return to normal, life goes on, its just a little snow.
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

What do you think they do in the great lakes or out west when they get storms like this? I understand Boston is more city and harder to move snow around but i think its overboard. Two off days i can see that, but they should be able to get the roads clear enough for the busses by then.They can continue the clean up while the kids are at school.If it takes a week they need to plan better for when it happens again.
  6. akayii

akayii Junior Member

It's not about the roads being cleared or giving people more time to shovel. It's about the kids being safe who are not driven to school by family or school bus. All you need is one kid to get hurt walking to school without sidewalks being cleared and, rest assured, you'll see a lynch mob. Believe me, the superintendent does not want to be in school at the end of June/early July to make up snow days!!
  7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

All these decisions are made by the respective persons in charge, with 1,000 :gunsfiring: lawyers looking over their shoulder to see what their decision will be. payup
  8. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

My town had school on tuesday and wednesday they got out early, about 1 hour. Roads are in pretty good shape, mains are wet. But Boston is a different story, more snow, less places to put it. My wife has been trying to get in for a meeting all week and there is no place to park. All the parking garages are full of residents because they can't park on the street, PITA!

9. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

We wer'e trucking snow today from brookline to brighton, it's a total disaster in there!! People parking roadside 3' from the center line, :gunsfiring:
  10. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

We had 38" then a 29" snow two days later... didn't cause that much of trouble. We only have seven big trucks w/front & wing plows (Four Internation / Two Ford) and one F550 w/front & wing plow.. plus a JD Loader with snowplow and snowblower to do snow removal. NO SNOWPLOW CONTRACTORS. For the 38" snow, it snowed for fourteen hours until around 2:30 AM. The town had all the roads cleared around 5:00 am.

The town takes care of the town roads, state takes care of the state roads, so there'd be absolutely no excuse for the town roads not to be plowed, and honestly, when the snow is deep, you're still driving at the same speed on a road, you don't slow down, so it takes the same amount of time pretty much. If they wanted, they could do all snow removal from the streets in one night. I don't know what Boston uses for snow removal, but if they do snow removal from the sidewalks with a snowblower, they should of had the sidewalks cleaned by now. The roads, I'd think they would of gotten both lanes plowed by a long time ago. There's no excuse. BAD!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  11. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i get a kick out of it...this is new england and if you were born and raised here
    whats the problem deal with it..
    everybody panics when snow is forcast :nod:
  12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

The roads have been black and wet and as wide as can be since sunday night/monday morning. Roads are in tip top shape, we handle snow here just as well as New Hampshire and NH does a damn good job, just like here. As far as the city of Boston goes, i was in there again today, streets are black and wet all lanes open, its been like this since monday. Sidewalks in the city are done by shovelers downtown, and, in residential sections, it is a law that you must shovel the 5-15' of sidewalk infront of your house. Otherwise they use tractor mounted snowblowers to clear the sidewalks. Boston has very good snow removal capeabilities, the best of any city around here sometimes you just end up with idiots managing it. There is no excuse whatsoever to cancel school for this long. The roads HAVE been GREAT for a long time now, all lanes are open. Nothing is left to be plowed, this is not Georgia or Alabama or someplace that can't handle a little snow. Most people with 4X4 Pick Ups have plows, we have more plows around here then there are places/roads to plow. Half the plow owning population could get rid of their plows and there would still be huge amounts of people with plows.
  13. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I think Dave (Bolts) really hit the nail on the head here. It's the damned lawyers and sue happy parents that are the cause of it all. That and when you say you've been "in Boston" I'm sure most of you mean the downtown area. Before you vote on whether it's safe for school you have to cruise all the neighborhoods to see what's really going on. Boston is a biiig city. Dorchester, Roxbury, Roslindale, Charlestown, East Boston, Southie, JP, Allston-Brighton, etc. Drive the backstreets among the row houses and the projects. There was just noplace to put the snow and just when they started getting after it, more snow fell on top of it. People don't move their cars for the plows, they shovel snow back out into the street, it's a nightmare.
    The super there tried to have that "there's no excuse to keep the schools closed" attitude and he's damned lucky he hasn't lost his job over it. There were little kids waiting on corners in the freezing (yes...freezing weather, in the single digits) for over an hour and a half waiting for buses that never came. One kid even went missing for several hours and was later found safe over at a friend's house where they went to get out of the cold. As a parent, if that was my kid, I'd be down to that superintendant's office looking to knock over his desk and mess up his face. Not to mention I'd be calling a lawyer myself.....and I'm not a big fan of going to court for any reason.
    Safety for children is more than passable roads and sidewalks. Exposure to freezing weather and the possibility of accidently being hit by a plow or buried in a snowbank is very possible in these conditions. Just last night up in NH I heard an 11 y/o girl was hit by a plow and is fighting to survive.
    Another factor is that for years they could just dump the snow into the ocean to get rid of it, but now all the tree huggers have put a stop to that which has complicated removal in the city. When I was a kid during the Blizzard of '78 we were out of school for two weeks, one being Feb vacation. This storm dumped about as much snow, so I don't think a week is unreasonable in Boston. The suburbs are another story. In Taunton, my daughter only missed two days and we got 30" here. Smaller city, easier to manage.
    School is important. Safety for the children is more important.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  14. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

While my city isnt half as big as Boston we had a good 25 inches in the past week and the kids only missed one day and thats because the second storm started just in time for the morning rush hour.The piles are big here sidwalks blocked and it has been just as cold.The bus company has been leaving the busses running over night so they are ready to go for the morning.Town and State dot is still cleaning up piles as we speak.If they have problem with nobody moving cars why dont they start towing them? thats what they do here seems to get the car owners attention. :) I can see them getting a few days off but i still think a week is a bit much. Hell even without snow someone will find a way to sue you.