1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss XT vs DXT

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pestyspecial, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Pestyspecial

Pestyspecial Junior Member

I'm down to a decision, either buying a 8'2" XT or 8'2" DXT this year. It's my first plow I've had to by (started my own business in June), but have always run Boss for other companies. Is the DXT worth the few hundred dollars more? My sites this year are as easy as it gets to plow with little obstacles and few curbs, but the future may be a different.

2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Hell yes it is. Trip edge vs full trip. Enough said

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I love my dxt!!

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I liked them when they first came out, the dual trip sounds nice. But a lot of people are saying that in scoop mode they won't stack worth ****.

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I thought people were having scoop/weight issues with the 9 footers and especially with the wings added to it

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We bought a couple DXTs; they feel too heavy. We now are buying the VXTs only.

7. rob_cook2001

Boss had a bunch go out with bad springs.. when I bought mine it would trip super easy stacking in full scoop.. they changed my springs and it's much better now. When running the wings on my 9.2 dxt I still pill it back just a little from full scoop for stacking but you get use to it fast.. after having the dual trip I never want to use a vxt again.

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Even when using my vxt in scoop with heavy wet snow it's sometimes to heavy to raise all the way.

9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

This will be my first winter with the DXT, but the trip edge was worth the difference to me. 8'2" with wings seems to be ok, but again I haven't pushed snow yet.

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

So I guess my master plan of a 9'2 dxt with wings for my gmc 4500 isn't a good idea, oh well.

11. rob_cook2001

Why are you saying it isn't a good idea???

12. AGCPITT

AGCPITT Junior Member

Never tried a DXT, that being said I have three 8.2 VXTs on my trucks and buying another next month for a new f350. When you hit something that catches an edge on the VXT it jolts the s*** out of the truck and you but once you learn your lots and where to take it slow it isn't a problem. The VXT is a great plow. That's why I will have 4. I have no need for the annoyance of the trip edge tripping when stacking heavy or hitting an ice patch.

13. leigh

from CT

Comments about having a hard time stacking,plow wont lift heavy snow.

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

It'll lift it, just not in a full scoop at times. So then you just stack in a straight position

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A Steel DXT weighs 83# more than the Steel VXT's, this is for both 8.2 and 9.2 blades.

As Rob Cook mentioned Boss had a batch of springs with a lesser spring rate that were sent out on customers plows. I run a 8.2 DXT with wings had a issue with the blade drooping/tripping in full scoop, I contacted Boss and they took care on it.
    It's a great plow and would buy another when the time comes.

IMO any operator can stall or cause the blade to lift slowly while stacking with a electric/hydraulic pump.

16. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I am aware of that. The SS 9.2 is 125lbs heavier and I could really feel a difference with that one.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The 10.2 DXT weighs in at 1200# but according to the Boss Parts Poster the 10.2 uses a different pump assemble and it has a 3qt vs 2qt reservoir.
    I wonder if you could order a new 8.2 or 9.2 with the larger pump/reservoir that is used on the 10.2?

18. leigh

from CT

Learn something new everyday,didnt know they made a 10.2.

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Could you imagine a 10.2 with wings
    That would be a monster

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Boss introduced the 10.2 about a year or so before the 8.2 and 9.2.