1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss XT trouble

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pbones27, Dec 6, 2010.

1. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

I have a brand new Boss V-Xt Second time out with it.
    The first time I never noticed any significant drain on power, now all of a sudden I have a low amp gauge, lights dimming etc.
    Older battery, but newer 110 amp alt.
    Any suggestions?
    What about installing a second battery as a long term solution?
    Any advice will be helpful, its gonna be another long night http://www.plowsite.com/images/smilies/drinkup.gif

2. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

That is interesting. Have you hooked the truck up to a battery tester to see what your alternator is putting out? It should be close to 14 if the batteries are charged fully.

My F350 6.0L powerstroke doesn't even dim unless I'm doing some serious repeatedly moving of the hydraulics. Even the old Western V was a power hog in my opinion, never had a problem in two years. Knock on Wood!

3. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

Just the gauge on my dash, which is reading 14 until I use the plow.
    Also, It wont "quick drop" down...it only lowers

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

This sounds like a diagnosissisis from B&B.If he doesn't chime in soon,I'd PM him.

5. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Get ahold of B&B. He will aim you in the right direction

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i would double check all connections first. ground being first. if you can try a new battery. 2 batts would be the best option. you could load test your old batt but sometimes that doesn't help.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

try a new battery

8. LoganMozingo

LoganMozingo Junior Member

First off how old is the "older" battery? Yes a second battery would be a solution as long as the alternator is still working right. Sometimes it will say it's putting out 14 volts but its not. You might want to consider getting a high output alternator, as sometimes a plow will "eat" the stock 110 amp ones not saying this is the problem but it would definately give you the power you need to run the plow and all the electronics in the vehicle. It also sounds like there might be something funky in the wiring for the plow if it won't quick drop. Might have a ground loose or off completely. Hope my insight helps you to get your problem resolved

9. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

What was different between the first and second time plowing? For me with one of my trucks if I am running the plow at night it will kick the low amp light on, but if I'm running during the day I never have a problem. This is because at night I have the head lights on and I have aux. lights in the rear that are on while I'm plowing. Another thing to consider is the heater blower motor takes alot of juice. So when I am plowing with that truck at night I'll usually turn the heat off or atleast down while I'm plowing a driveway and then turn it back on while in transport. Another thing is alot of light bars draw quite a bit of juice unless you get a fancy LED one.

What I'm getting at here is first you need to determine why you didn't have a problem the first time out and why you did have a problem the second.

A second battery is an option, but a high output alternator is a much better option. A second battery is a band aid, and a high output alternator is a fix. All said and done, a new alternator wouldn't cost much more than a second battery when you consider the new wiring and battery tray/tie down that you'd need to install it.

10. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

It could a combination of old battery and the altenator.... I was a had the same problems... I put on a 200 amp altenator and a new battery and haven't had the problem since.... these newer and bigger plows use alot of power that a smaller altenator can't keep up with...

11. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

Thanks guys, Im gonna look into a high output Alt.
    With the quick drop, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt..although the doesnt is a lot more often now. The snow has let up for a bit, so Ill have some time to look at it today. Ill keep you posted with what I find out

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto, especially the ones directly on the motor which are often overlooked.

If they weren't properly tightened during the install it's not at all uncommon for them to loosen rather quickly. Loose connections cause excessive resistance which equals higher amp draw.