1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss worries

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kpmsnow, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I have just recently bought my first boss v-blade. I've always bought western v-blades but decided to try boss because the boss dealer is closer and open 24 hours during snow events for parts. I have a few concerns though and don't trust the dealers word completely due to the fact that i didn't see a blade on his truck at all. I've heard guys complain that the boss doesn't back drag very well unless it has the smart lock cylinders because of the one way rams with spring return? Also that in the v or scoop position the blade doesn't really trip! doesn't that result in a lot of damage or at least a lot of steering wheels to the gut? i'm worried that giving up my 2 way rams and my trip edge isn't worth the convenience of being closer

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can backdrag without smartlocks I do ,yes the wings do fold out but then it drags just fine. Do it don't trip and it doesn't fold over either. I've hit my head once or twice before ,but if you know your lots you won't have a problem. I do carry extra springs in the truck just in case and keep some extra bolts an nut to in case it does break off ,just buy eye bolts a little longer then the ones that are on there now or you won't be able to get the spring back on.

You won't be disappointed in the boss plow.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That explains so much. :D

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Once you experience the benefits of direct lift, full trip your concerns will become joys.................. that's most poetic:eek:

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been running my XV for two seasons, this will be the third. Second month out I hit a driveway cut in Vee mode. Brought the truck to a dead stop. Had the sander freighted. Must have been 11K. Fortunately I had the blocking under my toolbox in front of the sander. Bent the front panel of the bed. My wife got a seatbelt burn. I hit my head on the wheel, and must have blacked out for a couple of seconds. I had a bruise for a week. Trip edge didn't do crap, obviously. You know that formed piece of the cutting edge at the center? Folded it right up. In that situation the Boss would have flipped, I presume. In scoop, the DD trip edge works, sometimes.

I looked over a V-XT this summer. I think you will be very pleased.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A trip failure in a full trip is often a result of improperly adjusted crossover relief valve pressures.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And also specifically on a Boss vee; because the trip springs were set too tight.

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Is it a safe bet that it was at least twice. :confused: :D

I don't know about so much.................................but it does explain a little. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  9. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

i appreciate all the feed back. Are the smart lock cylinders worth while then or could they cause more problems then they are worth

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They don't cause any "issues" per say. A few years ago there was a bad run of them but like anything else manufactured that can and does happen. They were trouble free before and have been since.

11. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Cool Guess now all i need is snow!

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's why my Dr told me to get into an easy job that doesn't need much mental thinking.

Plow up,plow down. Go forward go backwards.:dizzy: