1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Wisdom

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dave3121, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

I'm new to boss this year so far so good. Spent last 3 years with western and saw a lot of service centers. Plow is straight blade and approx 4 maybe 5 years old. Came with truck I just purchased. Looking to next season I'm thinking of replacing pump and motor. They work fine now but I fear the day I lose a part like that at 4 am. If it aint broke don't fix it ? Or better safe than sorry ? Also, since there is no chain is it ok to lift and hook a chain around tower if plow is ever unable to be lifted off ground for whatever reason or is it too much stress for that part. Outside of the obvious fluid change at start of year what should be replaced or cleaned that could be a likely source of an unwanted problem at a bad time ?

One more thing, I have many many red spots of snow in my driveway from fluid leaking out after every use but can't seem to figure where it is coming from. No major leaks or running dry, but a slow drip all the time.

Thank all who respond.

Freezing in Syracuse

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Red spots... most of the time it is caused from overfilling the reservoir.
    Take the cover off and inspect it.
    It can be hard to find leaks by your self. Have someone run the plow as you watch for leaks. watch your toes......

Replacing a 4yr old pump and motor for no good reason is a wast of money.
    Mine is 9yrs old and it still works like new. There very reliable.

Clean the plugs ans keep the all of the electrical connections clean.

As for hydraulic fluid, DO NOT use ATF.... Boss fluid is some of the best stuff you can use.

Now go find some snow and enjoy your plow..

Never had to chain her up...lol but if you had to you can, just go slow so it does not bounce around, you should be fine.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  3. jbwerling

jbwerling Junior Member

For chaining up the plow if it ever goes down, just use a comealong and rachet it up. Lift from the light bar somewhere.

4. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

Thanks guys. I will take advantage of your advice.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow new to you

if you are worried about it not being able to raise back up if it fails they (boss)make a killer wratchet strap lift to get you back to the shop,to repeat the earlier statement ,well maintained it will last forever,check your packing nuts to see if they are snug they never get checked,should be after the first 10-12 hours of plowing along with all bolts in your mount.some times if you power it down when removing the smart hitch plow it may push some oil out the breather usually not a problem.