1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Wings vs Blizzard Wings,.. some (un)biased observations

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well,... here it is, almost mid-December, and we don't even have a foot of snow yet,... it's starting to look like one of those years when we just may not get much, even in Alaska, but things could change,... it's a long time until April. In any case, we got about 4" yesterday, and since I recently acquired a Blizzard 860 SW, I decided that today was a good day to scrape out my driveway and do a side by side comparison of this new Blizzard to my 4-yo Boss 9'2" V-blade w/Boss wings. Since I have read many different opinions on here and elsewhere concerning the pros & cons of V's vs straight blades, I took some pictures along my driveway of how they both did,.. side by side,....

New snow (Small).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Now some may say that this isn't a fair comparison,... but it's all I have, so that's all I can compare. The Blizzard 860 SW has wings that can be pinned back which makes it a 9'9" straight blade, so it's only 3" shorter than an 810 that's fully expanded,.. which is close enough to be fair (I think,... :rolleyes:). The Boss is 9'2" when straight, and right at 11' with the wings attached.

Comparing both plows (Small).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Right away it is apparent that the Boss isn't just quite a bit wider, but it's also taller

side x side 2 (Small).JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Both trucks are early '90's Chevys,... although one is a dually,.. they both have the 5.7 gas engines,.. so that's pretty equal,...

Plow trucks Z6 (Small).JPG

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I really don't know what is better, but this will be interesting because I already own a boss, but whenever I see a Blizzard I really like the look of it and have been considering it on our next truck someday.

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Both have very effective back-up lighting,...

Reverse lights (Small).JPG

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Other comparisons,.... the light towers are about the same angle from the trucks,... but the Blizzard has about an inch more ground clearance for the A-frames,... (both plows are set to optimum factory-recommended truck-frame heights)

Light bar & A-frame profiles (Small).JPG

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

But one of the more amazing things that I didn't notice until I actually set these plows side by side,.. was the difference in the wings,.... what was immediately obvious, was the difference in the wing "curl",... look at how much more curl there is in the Blizzard wing than the Boss wing,....

Boss wing vs Blizzard wing (Small).JPG

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

A view from the back side,.. again, showing how the Boss is taller, but the Blizzard has more curl. Also,... the Blizzard wing itself is about 5" longer than the Boss wing,... (19" vs 14", measured on the cutting edges),... so that would indicate that the Blizzard wing could hold a greater amount of snow against the front of the blade before it spills over the front,... all other things being equal,.... ( I know,... my Boss wing-outer frame is bent... I don't know how that happened,.. I never hit anything,.. actually both wings are,... more on that later)

wings (Small).JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Now, in my opinion,... blade curl can be good,... or it may not be all that big of a deal. What I was seeing as I used the Blizzard,.. is that the snow "rolled" at a much slower speed,.. and this tigher curl was throwing the snow more "forward" than the Boss did,... for sure "rolling" the snow takes less power & is generally more efficient than "sliding" or just pushing a static pile,... but the Boss rolled as well... at my normal plowing speed. As you can see,... the compound angle that the Boss wings are made at, will give you a full-height and full forward-facing "grab" at deep snow, where the leading edge of the Blizzard wing is entering deep snow at an angle. (Again, this may not be a big deal)

Close-up wing profiles (Small).JPG

11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Next I put the Boss in full-scoop position, (as the SW is always in unless angled all the over either way), and this was a big difference, in several ways. I already know from past years that if I have a full load of snow with the Boss wings on.... I better have a little speed going, or I just can't hardly push that huge pile of snow that this V-plow with wings can contain,... I would say without fear of exaggeration, that it is at least double, compared to what this Blizzard could hold. The other thing that becomes very obvious, is the ability to stack snow as well. The Boss in scoop, with wings, is holding snow maybe as much as 2 feet farther out in front of the truck, and therefore would have that much more "reach" going up a pile, assuming that both plows lift the same height.

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

ooooops,.. forgot the picture with that post,...

Right-side scoop profile (Medium).JPG

13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Another view,.. from above,... of both plows in "scoop",...

Showing both scoops (Small).JPG

14. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So,... how did they do,... going side by side? My driveway is almost a mile long out to the highway, so I had several places I could push to & compare what they both did. Again, 4" or so isn't all that much of a test,... but it's a start,...

Blizzard vs Boss (Small).JPG

15. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I already knew exactly how my Boss does,... how much I can take per pass,... how it windrows,... how it throws snow,... but when comparing it to the Blizzard,.. I would say that the snow coming off the Boss tends to rise more "up" on the plow, and more snow appears to fly off the top of it than the Blizzard, under the same conditions.

Doing my driveway (Small).JPG

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The Blizzard, on the other hand, most definitely was throwing snow more "forward" than the Boss,... and the tigher curl seemed to let me plow more right to the edge of the leading wing without any spilling off the front than compared to what I do with the Boss. As a matter of fact, every time I stopped to take pictures or just look at what was happening, I saw that the snow would "fall forward" off the moldboard on the Blizzard,... it wasn't doing that at all on the Boss,... as you can see...

head-on shot (Small).JPG

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The Blizzard plow felt like I was always taking too big of a bite, but nothing ever spilled over the front. I plowed the left side all the way out with the Boss,... & the right side with the Blizzard.

New Blizzard plow (Small).JPG

New plow truck (Small).JPG

18. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Always enjoy your post, look forward to seeing this unfold. And all those pictures make a great morning wakeup.

19. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So,... how "clean did they leave my road? Well, trying to see a winner here is a little tougher,.... this is what they looked like from the rear of what they both did,.... (reverse lights on for camera's sake.. trying to get more contrast)

Scraping of both plows (Small).JPG

20. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The end results, in reality, are both very acceptable. One factor for me, is that in most years, my problem is that towards the end of the winter, I can barely get the snow over my berms without going 40mph,... so the fact the Blizzard throws snow more "forward" than "up", compared to the Boss, may not, in fact, work out to be a benefit,... that's still to be seen,... my best & most honest assessment of this little experiment I did today,... is that the "finish" with the Blizzard is probably a little better,.... but on rougher driveways, which most of mine are, since I have no pavement, that finish is not attainable like it would be on pavement. It also appeared that the Boss plow left a little more "chatter" on the edges than the Blizzard,... but only a perfectionist would quibble about that. (no doubt due to a slightly different attack angle of the cutting edge). The Boss weighs about 300lbs more than this Blizzard, so the fact that it scrapes at least as well, or even better, would attest to a better or more efficient attack angle, at the least,... Boss job is on the right,... Blizzard is on the left...

Blizzard on left, Boss on right (Small).JPG