1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Wings-Problem?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by SnowPro11, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

Hey guys, I have an 8 ft stright blade super duty with the Boss Wings. I bought it all brand new last year and was excited to begin using it. During the first plow event the rubber cutting edges of the wings started moving away from the cutting edge of the plow leaving streak marks in my lots. I'm trying to see if anyone else has had this issue with these? I tried loosening the bolts, sliding the rubber back against the cutting edge but when I start plowing the rubber starts seperating again.

Anyone running the Boss wings let me know if you have noticed any gapping when you are plowing or if this is an isolated issue.

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Sounds like you need to crank the bolts tighter.........?

3. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

I have tried that multiple times. I was hand tightening them at first then I took it to an auto repair center and had them use an impact on the bolts.
    Either way I have not had any luck. My local dealer has been great in trying to resolve the problem but they way we "fixed" them with shims and washers just leads me to believe there is some kind of problem or design flaw.

Do you use them on a straight blade or V? Also, do you have the curb guards on your plow with the wings?

4. Earthscapes

from WNY

I use them on both our straight & V plows. Yes to the curb guards on the V's. I have been using wings since they 1st came out a few yrs back & never seen the rubber move. The way they are angled forward, they should actually push the rubber towards the blade, not away from it.
    I crank the hell out of mine, have ripped the wings off the plow, broke the welds, etc. etc. by hitting stuff, but the rubbers never move.

5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Same here, I hit them with a mallet to get them into place as tight as possible and the crank them with a breaker bar and a cheater pipe. The only time they move is if you run them on DRY PAVEMENT, other than that, if it's wet or has a dusting of snow, no issues.

6. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

I am beginning to think this was maybe an install problem. We run pro-wings on all our Meyer plows and this is the first Boss we have owned. I guess we just need to work with them a litlle more.
    I know what you mean about dry pavement. Mine jumped a lot last year when I first started using them. I guess you have to wear the outer edge down a little because toward the end of the season it seemed to be ok.
    I appreciate all the input. Good Luck and LET IT SNOW!!!

7. Earthscapes

from WNY

Hold on a sec, Are you using "Boss Wings" or Pro-Wings on the Boss plow ?

If they are Boss wings, my 8yr old could install them on a new plow. All the holes are already there, except for (2) 3/8" ones you have to drill on the top rail.

8. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

We use the "Boss wings" on the Boss plow. But we run the Pro-Wings on our Meyer plows. At this point I have been happier with the Pro-Wings. Sure you have to replace a rubber or 2 each year because they are not as tough or durable but the way the snug against the plow they seem to work better.
    I did not install these but maybe I will try the next set if we decide to shell out another $800 or $900 for them.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If you never going take them off ppl around here run a extra rubber to cutting edge bolt from the wing so there no crack letting snow fall out between the plow and the wing Think the thickens of rubber they use is 1/2 thick

10. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

I thought about adding metal shims to close the gap from the back side but I do need to be able to remove them for storage and even for transport in a few cases.

11. Antlerart06

Well my western has western wings and I put a shim in to move over closer
    I used a 1/2 at the top and 1'' at the middle I had to put in longer bolts air gun it on
    that tighten up the gap
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=129904&highlight=homemade
    Kinda see it in the last pic i posted

12. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

Thanks for the pic. That is similar to what I was thinking of doing. Lets just hope for some snow at this point!!!

13. Antlerart06

You are welcome
    Just think this no snow nothing breaks lol

14. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

That's a good point. I think I'd rather take the alternative though!