1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss wings install.....

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CaptainSmokey, Jan 26, 2010.

1. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

boss wings install.....HELP

Okay just picked up the boss wings for my 8ft straitght blade . i guess i am that much of a moron but the instructions just suck. any advice ant one can give me . thanks

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. CaptainSmokey

anyone have pics of the top braket up close i can use as a referance? or any advice ?

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

From what I remember off the top of my head. You have to unbolt the markers on both sides, and then that top bracket gets bolted in its place. The marker then gets re-bolted to the bracket. I do not own the wings, but that is what I remember from looking at my buddies.

4. GB350

GB350 Junior Member

I agree with you on the instructions not much help.
    I did my install mostly by just clamping all the parts on with c clamps and vise
    grips then marked and drilled. First side went good other side fought me and had to reweld holes and redrill.
    A couple of pics dont know if they will help.
    Picture 004.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

5. CaptainSmokey

okay now were cooking with some diesel. the flat bracket that bolts to the the plow did you use 1 bolt or 2 on each sidethe instructions say 1 but dunno. heres the edited pic with arrows thank you for the help everyone

[​IMG]

6. GB350

GB350 Junior Member

I used 1. I thought about using 2 but didnt make sense with them being that close together.

7. CaptainSmokey

alright well thank you very much now with the pictures you posted for me i can get them put on in the morning. the instructions just dident make to much sence to me with the diagrams they gave. ill get some pics of the finished product tomarow once i get them on!

8. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

I installed a set a few weeks ago.i had the same problem with the directions! Not very helpful at all!

9. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Im pretty sure that the bracket should mount on top not under the top rib. In other words it should be sandwiched between red plow and black support for snow deflector. Cut a notch in the rubber for the bracket.

Chris

10. CaptainSmokey

Wing installed pics to follow shortly

11. GB350

GB350 Junior Member

That bracket has a square hole in it for the supplied carriage bolts as seen in the first pic. Mounting on top of the plow would not work, because you would not be able to tighten the carriage bolt fully with the square shoulder into a round hole. Underneath is the correct way.

12. CaptainSmokey

[​IMG]
    heres a pic of the wings on . still have a little fanessing to do to the bottom of them but other than that happy with them directions completly suck

13. OH350Crew

OH350Crew Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Mounting on to is the right way the square hole is for the carriage bolt, the nut goes under the bracket.

14. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

What about the gap between the wing and blade will that cause a tail when plowing?

15. CaptainSmokey

i have to tighten up the cutting edge on the wing . no big deal just happy i finally got them on. now the next question with them . transporting them to site, keep them on or put them on when getting there it about a 45min drive to site from home

16. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I'd say leave them on. I've got an 8 1/2 Western Ultra with pro wings, makes it 10'2". I leave them on 24/7. Your 8' plow is 9'6" correct? Angle it and leave them on, after the first time of getting out of the nice warm truck, your going to say what the hell was i thinking? haha. Looks good to, how much $$??

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Boss has made some of the worst instructions in history on those plow wings. We had some head scratching too.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're not intended to be written for the end user, they're written for the dealers/techs. Which both have previous technical training that goes along with those instructions. They're nothing more than a "refresher".

19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Maybe BOSS should take notice that a good portion of the wings they sell are not being installed by the dealer?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doubt they even care Derek, they're intended to be installed by the dealer, not the DIY'er. They still sell the same quantity regardless of who installs them because they sell like hotcakes. payup