1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Wing Connection Play?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BigBoyPlowin, Jan 3, 2014.

1. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Hey added a pair of Boss wings on my 8'2" Vxt and it seems as though there is play in the wings at the top. I've been noticing the wings rocking back and forth slightly.

Has any one experienced this too? I Was thinking about running a bolt through one of the top mounting holes, but the only one that lines up is the spring loaded pin one.
    if so What have you guys done about this?

Maybe I'll just put a C-Clamp on both sides.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

They are pinned in, your going to have play in them and your going to see it if you're starring at it the whole time your plowing.

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Mine do it too.. no problem.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

There has to be a slight amount of clearance (about 1/32")to allow the pin to go in and out freely. Once the wings has pressure on it from snow it will not rattle or move around.
    If it really bothers you can install a ball plunger which would take up any slack. Most Hardware stores carry them as does Fastenal.

spring plunger.png

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know a guy his was like that with boss wings. I ask him how often he takes his off. He said never, I told him bolt them solid. That is what I did to my 8.6 pro plus plow Stops the rattle

6. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

We completely removed the Boss spring pins for our wings and use multi-hole clevis pins in their place. We can still remove our wings easily and it eliminates the chatter as well as the possibility of the wings coming loose.

7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

another issue w/ wings

Just a heads up as we learned a tough lesson in the school of hard knocks. If you put Boss wings on any Boss plow check one key thing before using. Make sure the wing cannot shift away from the main blade. Even 1/4 in will cause very bad things to happen. If your wing does shift it will be in danger of disengaging the spring loaded pin in the top bracket. Then it spins on the main mounting tube and bends lots of metal.
    To prevent it from shifting put a 1/4" thick spacer between the blade and the outside wing holding bracket. That shifts the whole mount 1/4" to the inside and tightens up the mount so the wing cannot shift and disengage the spring loaded release pin.
    Pic shows the problem gap at the top of the wing where it meets the blade.

wing 2-small.jpg

8. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

I moved the small cotter on the main spring pin to the other whole so that the main spring pin goes through the wing hole farther.

has anyone else noticed that the bolts come loose that hold the brackets to the plow, the brackets that the wings slide through

9. BigBoyPlowin

All Great suggestions guys... Tried the c-clamp idea and i swear i lost it 10 minutes into the following storm!
    Think I'm going to clevis pin it like stated above.
    Anyone else pickup a lot of debris in their wings?!?! lol I got bags, bungie tie-downs and other company's snow signs in between my wings! CRAZY!!!

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Tumble weed seems to be the common thing for me.

11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my wings. After 7 years of use, they loosened up a bit. I simply bought some stainless steel washers and placed them between the plow frame and the wing mount. This pushed the wing mount closer to the roll pin on the wings tube. It no longer pops out of the spring loaded pin up top.

12. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Also having the same issues as described above. I have added the washers to the mount and it seems to have fixed the problem. Make sure if you do this to change the lock nuts at the same time. Mine seemed to keep loosening up and the wing would spin out of the spring loaded pin. I never take them on and off until the off season for storage. Great pointers so far I will keep subscribing to see if anyone has any more info on this problem.

13. SPSkyo8530

SPSkyo8530 Member

that is:

exactly how we run ours. Much better and it reduces the risk of them breaking loose at the top if you hit them into stuff ;)

14. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Any pictures of this set-up and of the pins you used?

15. SPSkyo8530

SPSkyo8530 Member

Mine are so mangled I'll show you pics of used and abused wings and how I run them next time I have it hooked up.

16. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

X2

If you read the instructions that came with them this is how you adjust them so they are tight. I have mine tight up against the upper bracket so you have to kind of bang them in but it keep them from rattling. This also keep the pins in as far as they can go. :mechanic:

17. BigBoyPlowin

Today we hit a curb extension by a dumpster with a wing.. Forgot it was there.. Ended up tweaking to brackets to the point where we had to unbolt the brackets to slide out the wing.

After putting it back together we removed the spring loaded pin and Bolted the wing together!
    no more play is in that wing! Now all i need to do is the other side but that can wait lol

18. plowman1984

plowman1984 Member

Lets say I wanted to bolt my together, what size hex bolt would I need?

19. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

We started having problems with our straight blade w/ wings a few years ago. Couldn't get the pins to stay tight and then we lost one of them. Ended up using grade 8 bolts and double nutted them. Been like this a few years now without missing a beat but this plow also hasn't seen much use the last couple of years as it is only run as a back up now. Can't remeber off the top of my head what size the bolt was, we just measured it before I went to get bolts.

20. BigBoyPlowin

I tried an 8 grade 3/8(?) hex and it just broke..
    Think i need something thicker, but still bolted because they don't move when they're bolted together which is good... My whole wing flew off last storm. So I need to find a fix ASAP..Bad design on boss' part.