1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Wideout

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DCS MN, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Did anyone use a wide out this year?
    How did it work?
    My main concern is the rubber cutting edge as opposed to Blizzards metal one.
    Any thoughts or suggestions.
    I am buying a new plow for a truck I just picked up and on my other truck I run a Boss with wings but would like the ability to flaten the blade.
  2. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Did you mean a Western Wideout? I have heard good feed back on the Fisher XLS, which is it's sister.
  3. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

What ever Boss's is called, Western, Fisher, any of them with the rubber edge hydrolic wings.
    There all the same company now Blizzard still uses metal edges and the others use rubber.

Pros and cons????
  4. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Boss doesnt have anything with expandable wings, yet. However, they do have fixed wings that work very well. They just arent able to move in and out.
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

plowed with a guy with a western wideout and he loved it and i loved looking at it:jester:... scraped well and was real fast.
  6. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

My bad, I thought they all had the extendable wings.
    I have a boss with wings,
    I just want to know how the metal extendable wings(blizzard) vs rubber(western, fisher)
  7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I had great results with my wideout...will possibly be adding another 1 to my fleet next winter... ..I did not run the stock wing edges, so i cant say from personal experience how they work... before it went out the 1rst time, I had installed some U edges that i purchased from jerre herre. They seem like they will last as long as the steel center. Personally, I feel the slight disadvantage they may have for scraping compared to steel, is made up for in safety and wear n tear on the truck/plow wings. The edges also have a molded-in curb gaurd to them, unlike the stock edges.

P.S. I have heard rumors of steel wing edges for the XLS/Wideout may be available soon, if not already?
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I have a wideout and swear by it. Once you plow with one, you won't plow with anything else.
  9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

man i saw the title and got all excited thinking that boss came out with an expandable wing plow that no one knew about :realmad:
  10. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

11. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I'm sorry for getting everybody excited, I had one already bought for next year in my head but opps...:dizzy:
  12. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

haha its all good. were just dreaming anyways, from what it looks like i dont think boss will habve one in the near future. might be hanging a white plow off my truck in another year or to.,