1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss. Why don't you?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lazyike, Nov 21, 2010.

1. lazyike

lazyike Member

I was looking at a hiniker v plow and saw they use a 2 way cyl. on their wings, and got rid of the return spring.

I love my boss v-plow but am getting tired of replacing the broken springs. It would also help when back dragging.
    Anybody have any input as to why Hiniker has it but Boss does not? Seems more reliable then relying on a spring to bring the wins into v position.:confused:
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Boss offers Smartlock cylinders that you can purchase and put on your plow. A spring return is the fastest way to take the wings from scoop to v position and was the standard until other manufacturers entered the v-plow market.
  3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

You may have your springs set too tight. I am on my 2nd V-plow in 10 years & have never broken a spring. I tighten mine just enough that you can slide a piece of paper between the coils with the wing pulled back.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Cost $$$$$ that is why they use return spring. not only the cost of the cylinder but also the valve body. besides then they would not sell so many springs :)
  5. lazyike

lazyike Member

I thought that after my 2nd one broke, so I put the spring on and hardly had the nut on the threads and I broke another one last year. It looks like metal fatigue. Like I said I love my boss but I think they need to do away with spring and go with 2 way cylinders.
    By the way putting those springs on are tough. I had to use a come-along to get the stud through the hole and the whole time I was waiting to loose a finger.
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The way the springs brake, it is defiantly improper fabrication.
  7. timberjack

timberjack Member

Are they selling you the correct replacement springs? Perhaps they're too short?

When i assembled my plow there was no extra work like that for me to get the threaded end into place on the moldboard. Just a whole bunch of wrench turning to tighten the nuts up. Maybe i'm mis-remembering. :confused:

But as for the double acting cylinders, i see the spring return as simplistic, and works. I always hate it when a manufacturer overthinks a design that's been working fine, just to change for change sake. But that's just me. :rolleyes:
  8. lazyike

lazyike Member

uh I dont know? maybe I got trip springs instead..... Does anyone know if they are shorter?
  9. timberjack

timberjack Member

Well, they're different part numbers. Not sure on length.

Trip springs for Power-V - MSC01509
    Wing Return Spring for Power-V - MSC07705
  10. timberjack

timberjack Member

11. lazyike

lazyike Member

Yepper that what happened.... Thank god that was figured out. My nerves get wrecked every time I bust one and I think of having to put a bolt on that loaded gun.
    I had visions of a spring sticking out of my head because the bolt slipped.:dizzy::dizzy:
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That right there should have given you the intuition that you're running the incorrect springs. Shame you didn't discover that until now but good to hear you never injured yourself.

Always been partial to spring returned wings myself regardless of brand. Less wiring, two to three fewer valves and coils. four less fittings. fewer relief valves, and two less hoses makes them simpler and quicker to diagnose especially in the field if needed although with less components there's less chances of even requiring that since a broken wing spring won't stop the use of the plow anyway. Not to mention the pump needs to run half as much to move them. Less pump usage equals longer life through less work from everything from pump motor itself back to the alternator and everything electrical in between.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think the Original Vee Plow (diamond) had DA cylinders.
  14. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

X2 just keep a spare spring behind the seat....:nod: