1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss vxt won't drop???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 04WhiteSport, Dec 22, 2012.

1. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

I was out last night plowing and for some reason if I put the wings back and the plow all the way up, it will not go back down. The handheld changes to red as in float mode, but won't go down. If I put the sides out to straight or scoop, it will go up and down like normal. It also works fine in v position all the way back until I raise it all the way up then it sticks up Follow me here??? So basically down won't work it I put it all the way UP, and both wings Back. Wtf?

Thanks and plow on!

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. 04WhiteSport

That's a good point. I should check the obvious first. " hm, I never made the connection". Thanks spool it up, youre a real life saver!
    We are supposed to have a major snow event here in Indy on christmas day, I hope we all get to make some $$$$!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You either don't have enough voltage getting to the lower coil (loose connection) or the lower valve is faulty thus it can't overcome the extreme pressure built in the system when you bottom the lift ram out. Check all connections on the orange wire both at the coil and the controller connector and as mentioned the 13-pin plug. If it all checks out it's likely the valve, or also in rare cases a weak coil. But neither are common on a Boss so be sure to check the connections/wiring first.

You can always swap the lift/lower valve and coils also as a test if there's nothing wrong in the wiring.

5. 04WhiteSport

Found the problem a bit ago. There was a big 1" cradle Bolt where it pivots on and off missing. Therefore it was binding up and couldn't drop. When I pressed the wings out it would I bind and drop. Got a new 1" grade 8 bolt and I hope that fixes the problem! We'll see later tonight. 5 to 9" on Christmas day is the word for Indianapolis. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the input guys! Plow On!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should never lose a pivot pin- so it's time to fire the maintenance guy as he's obviously not doing his job. :help:

7. 04WhiteSport

First time on my truck. I got the plow from another plow site member that I gave him crap about it. Thanks Iil pusher! :) Game on!