1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss VXT Wings

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by pbones27, Dec 28, 2012.

1. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

I installed a new set of Boss wings on my 2 yr old VXT, I had the plow sitting on level concrete when I attached the rubber cutting edges. When I went out for the first storm it was if the wings were holding the plow up slightly leaving a 1/4" of snow behind. Is there something I missed? Or is it as simple as moving them up a hair?

2. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Just adjust them up and let's see some pictures

3. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

wings

did you put new cutting edges on we but 1/4 x 4 inch plate on the rubbers for cutting edges they chatter bad at full angle but they wear in after a while try running them down a dry road that smooths them out pretty quick

4. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

It came with a plate that I assume is used to help hold on the rubber. After I got a ton of complaints from my lots I finally figured out the wings were holding my plow up at least 1/2 inch. I adjusted them on level concrete went out and found an unplowed lot and still the same result. Should i just drive down the road with the plow down to wear out the rubber a little? Cut it down or just fab a steel edge?
    I feel the rubber is flexing under which then lifts the plow a bit

5. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

Pic will come once I figure out how to use these darn things lol

6. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

wings

till now we have put on a new edges and wings on at the same time [3 sets] they always chatter a bit with new edges but this last set of wings went on a blade with worn edges but minimal wear on them we bolt carbide wear strips to the front of the edges so they wear very little. Plow still chatters at full angle L or R 2 storms 10-12 hrs plowing commercial lots the 4" steel is down to about 2". BUT !! we also put 2 1/5" lift springs in the front at the same time the mount hole is at 16" now we dropped the push bar 1 hole [1/2 "?]. Didn't't measure hole height before lift but it would make sense that hole height is 2" higher now. That would change the angle that the cut edge/carbides touch the pavement raising the trailing edge and digging in the leading edge causing the blade to chatter till the carbide wears down.I THINK 4 hrs sleep in 2 days i may be wrong cheers BB

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Did you install new cutting edges on the plow itself before adding the wings ?

I have seen them hold the plow up a tad which burns off in the first lot or road trip, but something sounds wrong on the install if the plow has new edges & you have a 1/2" gap.

I have only done wing installs with the blade on the truck. When the back of the plow comes up to truck height it changes the angle of the wing rubbers.

Also they will chatter no matter what, even when old, but your not folding them under if you install them correctly.

8. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

The cutting edge on the plow is about 2 yrs old, I picked up some big open lots so I added the new wings this year. I plowed for an entire storm before I realized how much snow I was really leaving behind ( after I got a ton of phone calls) The rubber doesnt appear to be worn down much. Its not suppose to snow the next few days so hopefully I can find a way to get them all to line up

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The easiest fix would be to cut down the wings edges. I would suggest a hand saw. If you use a table saw or power hand saw you are going to melt the rubber to the blade.

10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Your mistake was NOT replacing the cutting edges. You would have zero issues if you did.
    Get yourself a 200 tooth blade for a power saw & cut away. Go slow & you won't melt the rubber.

11. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

I really wish my dealer would of told me that, I would of bought new edges too and saved all the headache. So far its cost me a new account I picked up this year, among all the headaches. I wish salespeople would just be honest instead of always trying to make a buck

12. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

No offense, but how did you plow a whole storm without realizing there was a half inch of snow on all your lots? I'm not trying to be a jerk I just would think you would see that

13. pbones27

pbones27 Junior Member

You are correct, I did see the snow but in my head I knew {or thought I knew} the blades where all lined up on the concrete floor of the shop, so I just thought it was at most 1/4 inch of snow, which would melt with the salt. Ultimately it was my fault for not paying enough attention and getting out of the truck to check. Live and learn...always striving to do better

14. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

gotcha..makes sense now with the salting..as you said..live and learn

15. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I cut mine with a sawzall. You have to go slow but it worked.