1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss VXT wings retract super slow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MahonLawnCare, Jan 10, 2015.

1. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just picked up a new to me VXT. The guy I bought it off said "the fluid is cold so it's moving slow". I knew he was full of it but I stole the plow price wise so if it needed something I didn't mind. It raises and lowers great and extends great. When its time to retract the wings it is maddenling slow. They retract but very very slow. My other ones will shake the truck. I know the spring doesn't appear to be tightened nearly as much as my other is. Besides this, is there anything else that could be wrong like cylinder etc.?

I am going to pull hood off tomorrow and go over all connections too. Thanks in advance. :waving:
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Tighten the springs 1st,
  3. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

I planned on greasing up pin too. Hope that fixes it got 6" coming tomorrow night
  4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Change the oil - someone could have put ATF in it. That will make them slow. Use BOSS oil.
    At some point ( I think past 08 ) BOSS started putting restrictors in under the valves. My 05 is fast and shakes the truck and my 2010 is slower but not painfully slow.
  5. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I wonder if someone greased the pin with a standard grease. My buddy had an issue with this when it was cold out. We cleaned as much of the old grease out as possible. Then we used the grease I bought, can't remember the name but its is a high pressure grease but made with something keeps it working when its cold, maybe lithium? Can't remember, but it worked fine after that. Its a bright blue grease that seems thin.
  6. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

I tighened the springs and greased as much as I could it didn't want to take grease so I put the needle in the slots and gave it hell. I am going to change fhe fluid after this storm. I got it to retract better but not much. I didn't know if there could be a problem with the smartlocks. This thing looks new but I know the previous guy could have tweaked one,
  7. MahonLawnCare

from Ohio

Yeah my other two shake the truck and this one is slow so that's what had me wondering what could be wrong.
  8. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Use a drill bit to clean out the grease holes ... I had to do this and heat her up with a torch to get grease to the pin ... -28C heh heh. The grease won't help much if ya don't pump it in through the holes.