1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss VXT on Dodge 3500

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by zjm, Dec 25, 2010.

1. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Finally got around to it, so here they are, couldn't fit them all so i'll put them in another post

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

2. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Looks good, just needs a snow deflector (flap) and a set of Timbren's.

3. zjm

zjm Senior Member

She only squats 1 inch when raised, I'll find out tomorrow about timbrens since it will be my first time plowing with this truck and plow, so we'll see how she does, as were suppose to get 11"-16" with blizzard and near white out conditions sun.into mon.In pics truck has no ballast in it yet,i'll put about 900 lbs back of wheels before i go out.
    Oh yeah a couple of more pics.

IMG_0526.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  4. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Very nice looking rig, thanks for the photos. We appreciate your business!

5. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Your welcome and i've heard nothing but good things about your customer support!
    She'll be gettin used tomorrow so i'll post some first time reviews when i get done, probably tues.

6. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

I see you added foam hose around the lines, do you think that makes a difference? Never seen that done before.

Looks great, good luck!

I would like to see the Boss Sales Manager post on a few of the threads where guys are having problems, good product, just looks like the A-frame needs a little more beef. Sorry for the slight hy-jack...

7. zjm

zjm Senior Member

No problem I'm always open for opinions outside of the thread, makes good controversy / conversation. I added the foam to help chaffing the hyd.lines, cheap and easy. We'll see how long it lasts and holds up.

8. zjm

zjm Senior Member

It definitely needs a deflector, plowing into a strong head wind really keeps your wipers moving.
    Just came in from doing 41 hrs over a 2 day day storm, as this was my first storm with plow.
    I'll post a review tomorrow.

9. White Knight

White Knight Member

Nice setup, is that your partner in the passenger seat? He looks ready to go.

10. zjm

zjm Senior Member

I cant go anywhere without her,follows me everywhere and anywhere i go. I practically trip over her.
    Oh yeah thanks for the compliment! It really is better than the straight blade i ran for someone else. I'm glad i went with it over a straight.

11. White Knight

White Knight Member

man's best friend!!

12. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

I am glad you agree on the deflector, as soon as I seen your picture I thought man he is going to wish he had a deflector. Glad it worked for yah, now time to drain the fluid and clean the filter.

13. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Is that something that should be done after its very first outing?

14. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

I think so, you know there is going to be metal and contaminants in the oil, those new hoses probably weren't the cleanest. Cheap insurance I say, I would do fluid\filter now and then again at the start of each season.

Sharp package again! Is it a '04 or '04 1\2? The '03-early'04 got great mileage!

15. zjm

zjm Senior Member

04.5, im around 14mpg around town. Truck is completely stock no tuner, or goodies. I'll probably do some tranny work to better set it up for plowing when things start to fail. I do minimal towing with it, I'm an excavator so it's always loaded with fuel and some heavy chains/ lifters. My favorite truck so far after my chevy 2500 and the f-250 prior to that. Not pickin sides here, just a personal preference.

16. PlowingUpward

PlowingUpward Junior Member

V XT Review

Nice Looking setup!!! I like the foam on the hydro lines, it looks good. Has the foam helped with chaffing and held up? One of my Hydro lines majorly chaffed after about 40 hours of use due to rubbing on the center section...

Did you ever write a review on your new setup??

I wrote one here:http://mysnowplowreview.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10 and should be posting one on plow site shortly:)

17. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Boss 9-2 Pwr VXT review, this could get long:D

Got the first storm under the belt, 42 hour run time out of 48 and I'm impressed so far. Time will tell how durable this plow is.

Overall Performance:
    This plow will really throw the snow compared to a conventional plow, comes in handy on narrow roads where you need to get the snow up and over to keep road or driveway as wide as possible .Stacks well and i like using the scoop to organize the pile. Hydraulics are fast and work well when under a load. Coming off a straight blade, I made the right choice, spend some time with a vee plow in a good long storm and you'd see how much more versatile it is over a straight blade. One thing i really appreciated over the 9' straight i was running is that i do a lot of short and narrow dead end roads with cars on either side of you and being able to retract the wings when backing out made it very easy and worry free. We all know what it is like backing out in a snowy windy storm with poor visibility and your concerned about clipping that mirror or bumper. The trip mechanism worked as designed with no problems, I experienced a trip in just about every mode but ill be honest its a little scary when in vee. I give this plow a Thumbs Up in over all performance.

A few dis-likes:( not many though,nothing is perfect)
    Controller takes time to get to used to, my learning curve took about an honest 20 hours to be efficient with it.But i expected it.
    The wing Hyd. lines could chafe early if not protected, my cheap foam fix held up very well,better than expected. I'll post a pic of them showing the wear they took in first storm,it was minimal. Trip springs rub on bottom of pump housing, not a problem other than paint rubbing off springs/housing and rusting early.Pump housing should be raised in the uprights to avoid this.Small hydro fill to top off system.Truck /plow light switch is on the cheesy side.To access pump, plow has to be on truck so you can remove lift cylinder to get cover off,maybe i'm missing something here.I didn't want to force cover off so i pulled top pin on lift cyl.while it was in float,pretty easy.
    As with any plow you need to know your area and things to avoid to minimize damage,scouting your route as you would plow it before it snows can be very beneficial to avoid hazards. I mark things with stakes and bright orange paint prior to storm,it's time well spent. My first outing went well and i'll post updates with anything that may be informational. If your thinking about getting a vee plow give this BOSS a really close look.

18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I like that look, zjm. I'm gonna copy that!:salute:

19. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Thanks ProSeasons,
    I can tell you the truck handled the plow with ease and at no time did it feel like to much plow for truck. In fact it is a really good match up if you ask me.I did have my concerns that it would be to much, but thats all put to rest after the first storm.Im very happy with this set up.

20. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

Beauty of a setup Top of the line. My dealer sucks never returns calls and the markup is terrible forced to buy there in a pinch otherwise I use CPW.