1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss vs. Western

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by shovelracer, Nov 20, 2007.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I was talking with my spreader dealer today and he was trying real hard to get me to switch to boss plows. Currently I use western unimounts and have had pretty good luck with them. They are a little slow, and I did have to replace a motor on a 3 year old plow, but the speed allows me to get a little closer with less error. He was really pushing the ploy plows. I havent used a ploy in like 10 years, but he was also raving about the speed of the hydros. Anyone have experience with both? Got any thoughts. I wont be replacing the westerns, but each year I add a new truck and might consider a boss for the next one. Locally I have both dealers, so availablity isnt an issue.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Correction I have ultramounts not uni's

3. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I've never had a Boss plow, but the Ultramount alone sold me on my 9.5 MVP and I would find it very difficult to go away from Western for that reason. I think Western just came out with new and faster hydros themselves. Plus they've added the poly Vee (but it's heavier than the steel). Check the web site.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I use Boss only but know guys that use Western only also with no problems. IMO, they are both AOK units. I stay with Boss for simplicity sake - spare parts and they all will go on any truck.

I'd stick with what you have personally.

5. bstout

bstout Member

I recently purchased a new Boss 7 1/2 Sport Poly straight blade for my 2005 Tundra. I did a lot of research and looking before making my decision.

I was very impressed with the Western but completely WOWED by the Boss!
    The Boss was a little more money but way worth it. It looks like it came with the truck and not an add on.

6. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

We have both and love them all problems are the same, wear parts. They are all mechnical they all break. The speed is great, also look at a boss there is now chain on the lift is is all hydro. Red is red they all look great.

7. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

comparison

the only fare comparison in can give is they are both red , i think boss so one upped western their is no fare comparison ,you can make argument's on both sides as to pro's and con's,but it comes down to what work's good for you ! .i have worked on both and i just like the boss .

8. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I own both 3 western 9' 1 boss 8'2" V with wings and i have no complaints with either. However as we replace the old plows we are going to switch to the boss. We just seem to like the boss's more however there both great plows and in my eyes the 2 best on the market. there is a noticeable speed difference between the two as far as hydraulics go but besides that nothing.

9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I like Boss, not Western but to each their own. I kinda like the Wideout though....:rolleyes:

10. krewzlo

krewzlo Junior Member

I just bought an 8'6" western V, I love the mounting and the back blade edge but I don't like the controller as you can't angle from any position, must move it back to straight first., second problem, doesn't lift very high, at the ends of my blade all the way up in V are less than 3 inches off the ground. Makes it impossible to drive with 6+"s on the road. I really liked my old boss V but the mount sucked and parts are way more expensive than western. I would really like to try out a new boss V just to see how it compares.