1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss vs western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FULLBURN, Aug 24, 2005.

FULLBURN Junior Member
    from ct

looking for new plow, 9 ft for my mason dump. looking for opion to help aid in my desicion boss straight blade or western pro plus contractors series. please back up your opion with some reasons.
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

welcome to the sight.were in CT are you?sounds like your near southford garage since they sell boss and western :rolleyes: .we run all fisher and blizzard can i change your mind?what kind of sights will you be plowing and what kind of dump do you have?
  3. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

I've heard those Pro Plus Contractor plows are like a rock.....you can't beat the ultra mount either.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Go with whichever you have better dealer support from. Anything mechanical can and will give trouble at the worst possible time, so make a decision based on where ever you get better vibes from.

Personally, I have been very happy with my Boss equipment. I see no reason to change equipment. Mind you, mine are V-plows, not straight blades.

You will hear a lot of varied opinions about brands. Try searching thru the archives, this topic has been discussed a lot in the past.

FULLBURN Junior Member
    from ct

putting plow on f-350, was wandering about no chain on boss plow, how do you lift it off ground to get home if cylender fails? at least with a chain you can rehook shorter to get somewhere in a pinch
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Carry a come-a-long with you if you desire. I personally have never experienced a cylinder fail.
  7. derekbroerse

Neither have I. My Boss has twin cylinders, and the worst 'failure' to date is a steadily increasing leak in one that I need to rebuild before winter. If, for some reason, it absolutely failed on me, I would drive it into/up a snow bank and wrap my tow chain around it and the headlight tower, then head for home.
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wouldnt run a boss v but thier straights are fine. Go with a good dealer IMO. Western makes a good blade too. Look into blizzards? Look at a V? Fisher or western would be my choice for a V blade. Wish I woulda got a blizzard power plow(the one with wings). Blizzard, western, boss would be my choice for a straight depending on dealer.
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Also the search button is your friend;)
  10. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

Only thing that's went wrong at a bad time on my BOSS is the solenoid, which caused the pump to run continuosly. Just had to quickly get out of the truck and unplug the connectors..
    I now carry a spare in the glovebox, just in case it takes a s*it on me again at 11:00 at night.
    Cost was I believe under 20 bucks.
  11. lumps

lumps Senior Member

why is that? the local school district and college both run Boss V-plows on all their trucks, and in upstate NY right on Lake Ontario, they get quite the workout. As far as I know neither have had any real issues. I ask because I'm looking at getting a Boss V-plow for my truck, and want to know if they have any problems.
  12. derekbroerse

If you do a search on this topic, you will find a lot of (somewhat heated) discussions about this.

Some people like to plow at 80mph across a parking lot, then wonder why they tear up equipment. I try not to treat my equipment too rough but everyone has bad days where they hit curbs etc.... Mine has had some really hard hits and yet it still works A1 (with the exception of a leaky cylinder that I need to reseal before the snow flies). People that plow like that need to have the quicker-acting trip-edge (rather than full-trip like the Boss V-plow) because no one can move quick enough to lift up over cracked pavement etc.

My plow is still straight after working for 8+ years (I THINK its a '96), and I like it so much I bought a clone of it for my second truck this year.

Others seem to be able to bend and twist them after the first few monthes of work.

I'm sure every brand has a few lemons floating around, but some of those photos are pretty bad.
  13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer support is key as stated you will need it someday. I dont depend on them here so not an issue for me.
    The Western Pro Plus Straight blade is one heck of a good plow. If I was purchasing another straight (I have a deposit on an 810 Erie Special from Jerre) it would be an 8'6" Western Pro Plus with factory wings. The Boss dealer is 2 minutes from my house the Western is 20 minutes away. The Ultra mount system is also really sweet if you dont drive around all season with your plow on.
    The Boss V-s really dont trip in scoop, this is why guys dont care for them. I dont plow at 80mph in big lots but 25mph is not uncommon for me. The winrows blow way back and this helps with effiency ( which means more money in my pocket). At this speed no trip means broken parts or worse bruises on my for head. The western will trip and you just keep rolling !
    Boss V's also dont have a center wiper that stays intact. SO you will get "trailers" all over the place as well.
    New purchase for a Boss V also means spending about 5 or 600 extra to get what Western includes on a stock v blade. Boss does not include deflector or double acting cylinders so if you back drag alot you will be paying Boss an extra 400 bucks to upgrade. Just for the cylinders.
  14. derekbroerse

Just to clarify (and not to start this debate all over again):

A PROPERLY set up Boss V-plow in the scoop position will blow the relief valve and return to the straight position and if you haven't stopped or lifted by then, it will trip. Anyone with a dead-stop condition has the pressure relief set too high.

My plow is older and has never had a center wiper, nor dual acting cylinders. I also run the plow on its 'feet' about 3/8" off the asphalt. No one has ever complained about 'trailers' or any of the snow left because of the feet. In fact, I was specifically told at one lot to always continue using the feet because they didn't want the cutting edge directly on the asphalt scraping their new line painting or asphalt patching. Any of my customers who expect bare pavement are willing to pay for salt... which takes a minimal amount to remove 3/8" of an inch. The dual acting cylinders I'll admit I wouldn't mind having (a definate advancement in plowing) but I cannot justify the cost for standard plowing--maybe if I had more residentials I would back-drag more.

To me, the 'flaws' are debatable, so the fact that it takes a beating year after year and keeps coming back for more (probably less than $500 Cdn worth of replacement parts since new including cutting edges, shoes, a light assembly, and a hose and oil, and the new seal I just bought.) more than offsets any of them in my opinion.

I'll also mention that the owner's manual for my plow says not to exceed 14mph while plowing. Not sure why specifically 14mph, but that is what they say. I'm sure other manufacturers recommend similar numbers. I guess any of us (myself included) that want to drive it faster have to take our chances... and those who want to plow really fast need the trip edge for its faster response time.
  15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Derek, don't waste anymore time on this bud. :nod:
  16. derekbroerse

I know.... I get argumentitive when I'm tired.... ;)

Back to my original reply, dealer support is everything!