1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss vs Western vs Fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MT250, Dec 27, 2015.

1. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

Hi Gang, time to retire my trusty Blizzard/F250. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and need to get a plow on it. Due to dealer access, I am limiting my choices to the Boss, Western, and Fisher. Will be a V 8'2"-8'6". Stainless would be nice. I only have 2-3 lots to plow.

I know they all make good plows. I am wondering about the unique characteristics of each:

Ease of mounting and removal
    Controller function
    Back drag ability
    Clean installation-nothing hanging too low or cutting up the truck to get it to fit.
    Lights.
    Added length to the truck. Probably not much difference here but a couple inches shorter would be very helpful to me.
    Anything else you like or don't like about your plow.
    Thanks!

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Boss DXT, dual trip is nice, hooking up / taking off is fast / easy and controller is easy to run. Wire harness, relay pack, tec.... and all hardware are very good quality. Boss also makes a great set of wings, easy on/off and built very well. Great customer support from the factory, on-line and by phone.

3. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I have a 9.6 xv2 on a 2015 ram mount tucks up pretty good not to much cutting of plastic

4. procut

procut Senior Member

I would say the western or fisher would be a little cleaner installation. Once you pull the removable brackets off you will barely even be able to tell its there where as the boss mount seems to hang lower all seasons.

5. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

How is the ease of mounting and removing the plow? I want something I don't have to fight with when it is -10 degrees and blowing snow.

6. TIMSF250

TIMSF250 Junior Member

Did you look at the Western Wideout? Looks like an efficient setup. I am also looking at buying a new plow and it is a tough decision, especially for what they cost these days. Don't want to make a mistake.
    Good luck with your decision

7. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

Just put a Western MVP3 8.6 Stainless on new plow truck we just put on the road, first Ultra mount 2 for us, and its literally a 20 second on and off for the plow. Its INCREDIBLY easy! i dont know how i ever lived without one of these mounts :) haha its literally pulling out the spring loaded lock pin on each side and pushing down the shoe, and then two quick connections and your plowing (or free of the plow). i even had my wife try it and she knows nothing about them and she could do it with no problems in under a minute. SO at least i know if the temperatures drop and im comfortable i can send her out to hook up my plow :) hehe

8. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

by the way MT, its mounted on a '15 Dodge 3500. Couldnt be happier with it so far

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get a western v they have wings for it and the ultramount 2

10. TIMSF250

TIMSF250 Junior Member

Sounds nice!! I got a price of $6500 installed for that exact setup, does that sound about right?

Do you have any pics to post??

11. AllHands

AllHands Junior Member

i did a bit better then that because of a deal the dealer has with the local western dealer, i bought the plow and spreader with the truck and saved a good amount. i think my quote before i went that route was $6300. but i also had curb guards and the rubber snow deflector put on. $6500 for an 8'6 Stainless MVP3 seems a bit high to me

12. TIMSF250

TIMSF250 Junior Member

I dug out my quote 8'6" SS MVP3 and Western 1000 spreader installed $8225.

13. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

I had a Western ultramount on my previous truck and now I have a Fisher minute mount that came with my "new to me" truck. While the Fisher is a nice plow, I much prefer the Western ultramount.

14. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Does anyone really wait till its 3 in the morning, winds blowing, blizzard conditions to actually hook up their plows ?? Mine is hooked up, plugged in, and full of food stuffs way ahead of any storm:nod::D

Great... Westerns mount system is fast and easy.Thumbs Up

Now, how well does it scrape ? Reliability ??? Ease of diagnosis and repair if something should go wrong ????

Personally, I'm more interested in those things, vs if it took 3 minutes or 3 seconds to install 2 days ago while I was prepping for an incoming storm front.:D

I too am very interested in comparisons between the brands, and I'd like to hear more about how they function during plowing, which to me, would be a major factor for purchasing the plow..

Subscribed

15. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

I'll tell you how my Fisher plow works AS SOON AS IT SNOWS:laughing:

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When you buy a Boss all you're questions will be answered and worries be gone.......

17. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Amen, brother.... Same here.

I've seen your plow in photos, and it seems to work well.

Maybe I should spend some time on Youtube and see for myself, eh?:D

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Piss on YouTube ...... Fly oot and try it on for size......

19. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

got a booster seat for whitey ? You probably have the seat all the way back through the rear cab wall....
    :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  20. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I am partial to Fisher. Have no issues with hook up, breakdowns and really like the control. Now I do realize western mounts will be less noticeable when the receivers are removed. Boss does build a nice plow but a few things I do not like about the one we have. PITA to work on, lift ram needs removed to get cover off to get to pump. The lights suck compared to the Intensifire lights. Slower than my Fisher, now my Fisher is much newer.

To be fair the only downfall I have noticed with my XV is sometimes crap can get caught in the trip edge. If not cleared it can cause uneven wear to the edges. But if you avoid plowing grass islands this should not be an issue.

So in all honesty go with what ever color you want, they all have pros and cons. Thumbs Up