1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss vs Snoway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Blink74, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Blink74

Blink74 Member

Hello all. I bought an 07 Silverado truck 2500HD at the beginning of the season and it's time to put a plow on it. This one is my Personal daily driver and so hopefully it won't see too much snow. I have another 06 Silverado 2500HD w/ a Boss standard duty 7'6" on it that does most of the work.

I was originally going to move the 7'6" standard to the new truck and buy a new Boss 8' XT for the work truck. I believe the plows and mounts are interchangeable, so it would be an easy swap and I love the Boss Plows. However, There is only one Boss dealer in town and he is on the far opposite side of town.

The equipment dealer I have a relationship with is less than a mile down the street from my shop and they carry Meyer and Snoway. The Sales rep recommended the Snoway. They don't appear nearly as stout as the Boss plows. However, I'm considering a 29 series plow anyhow just because of the convenience of having the dealer nearby.

How do the Snoways hold up? Anyone run both?

BTW, If I don't get another Boss the new plow will stay on the new truck. I won't pay extra to have a plow removed and reinstalled.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Oh boy...........let the games begin!:gunsfiring:

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

this could be a dangerous thread LOL

it doesnt need to be said that i love my Boss. and everyone i know with a Boss feels the same.
    on the other hand seeing as you have a close Snoway dealer and their new megablade series is gonna give the other companies a run for their money, i would seriously consider one. if i were you, scratch the idea of the 26 and get into the megablade contractor series. its still a straight blade and im sure will give you much more life than the 26 series.

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

CLEARLY it isnt SnoWay!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! I crack myself up

5. Blink74

Blink74 Member

Actually, I edited the earlier post. The one I'm looking at is the 29 series. like This truck is more for back up and I don't need anything fancy. But, I want the blade to last the life of the truck (5-6 seasons or so).

6. 06HD BOSS

still...check out the contractor series of the megablade

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although the dealer support proximity should be an important consideration factor, also having the ability of running either plow on either truck is a HUGE asset in itself. Also if your '07 is the classic body style Silverado, everything on the truck sides will interchange as well.

Cuts the spare/backup parts cost and inventory as well as the fact that your already familiar with the plow brand you already own.

8. 06HD BOSS

also a VERY good point! B&B always has a good way of breaking it down :D

9. Blink74

Blink74 Member

Yes, That is important. Especially considering I carry a Boss emergency kit in the 06 already.

Lat me say I'm partial to the Boss. But just imagine what the service is like when there is 20" of snow in Columbus, OH and only one Boss dealer. It took me two days just to get someone on the phone.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your back up truck really is just that, for backup, would it be a major problem if you couldn't get one repaired immediately?

Hows the service at the SW/Meyer dealer? Since just because it's closer doesn't necessarily make them more dependable. Just food for thought.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Let me say I'm Partial to Snoway, BUT if you're all ready running Boss without problems you might consider another one.

The SW will be nicer to your front end, has down pressure making it a better driveway cleaner, as well as a lot of other features, but there is something to be said for interchangeability

12. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

where is tom at this is gonna be pretty bad

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm having the same problem. I love the new Snoways but I've had such good luck with my old Boss's that it's hard to change. The Snoway dealer is closer to where I plow and they seem to stock alot of parts but my Boss dealer is closer to my house and I have a great relationship with them. I even fabbed up a Boss tow bar, that I can use to tow the trucks if need be. We try and fix everything ourselves so I know online support with Tom, Basher and all the other Snoway guys will be better then Boss but with the Boss we already know them inside out. I'm so confused.:dizzy:

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I will sum it up....BOSS!!!!!!!!

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What is your personal experience with these plows, to encourage others to take the leap, and buy a product with very limited testing ? Does anyone really know what testing, and how many of these plows actually were tested ?
    They look great on paper, and the 1 minute video clips. Thats all good, but how many hours have these plows actually been run ?
    I still do not know how the Mega Blade will trip in full scoop, especially with the add on wings, do You ?

My thoughts when I first read this yesterday, were exactly what B&B posted about interchanging plows.
    Last year I had a chaffed wire on my truck, I could not get my plow to raise. Dropped the blade, ran home and picked up the other dodge, ran back picked up the plow and got it home safe and sound. Went to bed and fixed it in the morning. Sure was better then leaving the plow, or spendin half the night fixin my truck in a parking lot when it was -10 out.
    Its nice having limited emergency parts as well, one extra controller etc....

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Confuse you some more.:dizzy:

You can carry a bigger blade with-out destroying your truck if you go snoway, 8'6" snoway 32 series, in poly 653lbs:nod:

Then you can go all Snoway when you trade in your older trucks:D

Plus there's the fact that Snoways never break :eek:and Toby4492 and i won't ever talk to you again if you don't go Snoway ROFLMAO

17. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I guess it is time for me to chime in.

I will assure you that these plows have been tested. It would be pretty foolish as a manufacturer to put a new product on the market that is designed to be put in extreme abusive environments, not to mention with extreme users and not have it field tested.

Along with our own testing over the last 2 years we also had multiple professional contractors running all models of these plows as well. Record snowfalls in the Midwest last season actually allowed them to be tested almost everyday. We aren't new at this, we have been producing snowplows for the last 30 years.

As far as tripping capability, we have that covered too. Hydraulic reliefs are built into the system just like any other plow that is on the market today. We know how abusive plowing is and do take precautions so that plows don't bend or break under extreme conditions.

18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ummm, ur new plows look nice!

but they all suck the same,...just like all the truck manufac. theres goods and im sure theres bads

19. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I understand the testing by Manufactures Toby. If I had a dollar for every time I hear "fully tested" I would be spending winters in Aruba.
    Point I was making to 06 Boss is what first hand experience do you have to push these plows to others ? I would never expect a manufacture to Not test there product. But we all know that a Beta plow and an assembly line plow, may have small changes, or major changes for production..
    1st year production plows always have some issues. Controllers, manifolds, you name it can and will happen. Suppliers don't always supply parts up to the specs they touted either.
    You guys may have great luck with these blades right out of the box, or you may have gremlins that take a full season to shake out.
    Your a salesman thats your job, I would fully expect you to believe in your product. I think it is great you are on these sites. You know the end results are here and posted for the world to see, so good or bad, it will be posted. Thats probably the reason other companys wont Openly touch these sites with a ten foot pole. We ALL know damn well there all lurking here, and there.

As far as the trip goes, could you please explain in detail, how the mold board trips in full scoop or bucket mode. I understand hydraulic reliefs, but can not comprehend what good that would do on a full moldboard trip plow, with the blade and wings folded forward (in bucket mode) preventing the plow from tipping forward. Mega blade wings had angled bottoms with rubber to allow the blade to trip forward properly. Does the wing need to "pop off" and fold back on both sides to allow the mold board to trip ?

Thank you For taking the time to explain this stuff :drinkup:
    I am hoping to make it to Slinger.

20. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

and if you have seen what snoway does to test thier plows its no joke they put those plows through some hell