1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss vs snow dogg or fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by weaver, Feb 5, 2013.

1. weaver

weaver Junior Member

i have 3 boss v blades now and love them had great luck with them but am going to up grade next year i have 1 10' v blade on a f 350 with dump 1 9'2" on a f 350 dump and a 8'2" on a f 250 ext cab i like the idea of the stainless steel but i also like the wide out or 8 - 10 fisher or snow dogg any thoughts

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Depends on what you plow most.

Parking lots and private roads...expanding style.

Otherwise, I prefer a V.

I looked at the snow dogg 9'6" V just last week while at a dealer with a friend. Pretty nice plow, I think it would serve well. I like the curl of the mold board, and how it's quite a lot higher on the outside..
    I own a fisher Xtreme V 9'6" and I love it. Only thing I would suggest to Fisher is increasing the size of the pistons to stop some of the wing folding that goes on. It's a one piston per wing setup, and the piston is simply out matched when you hit solid stuff...but I think most all V plows are like that.
    I was told by a Fisher dealer that the XLS was superb for lots, but if I hit something solid the wings will bend..he told me to go V..and the price was within a few bucks, so it wasn't like he had any money to gain on a sale.

I have no experience with Boss, but the spring return system seems pretty lame..maybe they have changed that now?

3. weaver

weaver Junior Member

well them trucks do mostly mini malls and apartment complexes we have 2 ford half tons for drive ways

4. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i woudl get a fisher. going back to get lost snow after the blade trips gets annoying.

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The rams have nothing to do with wings folding back unless they are damaged/leaking. This is controlled by check and relief valves. If these are dirty, damage or not set correctly you will have the problem of wings drifting. As far as the XLS goes it also has relief valves to allow the wings to fold in case of hitting an object. But nothing is foolproof, I have seen straight blades come into the shop bent into a U shape. No matter what plow you have you hit something hard enough you are gonna break/bend something. If I had it to do over I would buy the XLS but for now I am gonna put a few more years on my XV.

6. Buswell Forest

from NH

Mine seems to "drift" pretty easily, and usually the right side.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The boss wings still return on springs, aside from breaking one occasionally and a couple minutes to change it out there's nothing wrong with the system. Even if you do break a spring you can keep plowing. I broke one the other day and plowed for about 8 more hours with it broken, aside from the wing returning back kinda slow there's no problems using it.

Don't worry about missing snow with a Boss V. When it trips you pretty much come to a stop anyway. I usually have to click my controller "up" button a couple times to get the plow to stand back up or put the truck in neutral and allow the plow to push it backwards as it returns to the upright position. And when it stands back up be ready for a heck of a hit. If you do it slowly it will be gentle but it takes some practice. 4 springs and no shock I guess would make that happen though. My old western straight blade had 3 springs and a shock and it was a much softer return but it also tripped probably 10x as much.

8. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would start with the relief valves. Should be set 1 1/4 turns out from closed.

[​IMG]

9. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

id stick with boss
    you are familiar with them and have had good luck
    and you can stock parts for the plows
    and all your trucks look uniform

10. birddseedd

i doubt ill ever get a V. i prefer a straight with box ends. much easier hauling snow around corners without the spill off you can get from a V, among other things.

but yea. im down 1 spring on my straight and its always tipping over. anoying as crap.

hmm. maybe that can be my goal for today. put my spring back on.

11. Buswell Forest

from NH

Wow...not to flame, not to pick a stupid fight, but wow..

I am happy for the Boss guys who love them, but no thanks. A Fisher X-V will seem like a new Mercedes after driving a 1973 Grand Prix 4 door..
    At least go test a truck with a Fisher on it. An MVP is more or less the same design, test one of those if that's what you can find. Any dealer should be able to let you test one of the plows they sell..

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

In your situation I'd stick with the Boss and buy some wings for it if you are doing parking lots. No sense in having 3 Boss plows and tossing 1 Snowdogg/Fisher into the mix in my opinion.

That said, I looked at all 3 and my plow was (IMO) built much better, had more options for the money, was a trip edge, and has wings available that are also stainless and make it over 11' wide (unlike the fisher that barely adds with but makes it into more of a scoop plow).

The Boss wings are very nice and add a lot of width as well, I think if you go that route you'll be very happy.

13. birddseedd

i 2nd the wings

14. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

I bought the snow dogg xp810 expanding plow and I realy like it so far 10' wide scoop plow on parking lots has saved me so much clean up time it nakes me sick for not buying one sooner.

15. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

I have a couple boss plows and I really like them. For you fisher guys do they have a "auto up"? on my boss pad if I hit up twice it lifts it to the top.. Turns out this feature is really handy for stacking! The one thing I do like about fisher and others is the chain hoist...If a Boss breaks, there she sits....

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

The fisher does not have a double click auto up. Just hit and hold, it goes up quick enough to stack.

The OP said he was going to upgrade, I take that to mean replace all the plows...in which case I must recommend Fisher X-V or Western MVP...

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

2" ratchet strap and just pull it up off the ground using that. Enough to get ya back to the shop.

18. birddseedd

wouldnt work. you know boss guys dont get out of the truck :laughing:

19. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Yup. Pull it up to a snow bank to raise it and get out and through a strap on it.

I do not understand why people keep bringing up the argument of short chaining plows when it comes to picking a new plow.

20. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Where abouts are you in NB?

If your roads are as bad as mine you'll prefer the Boss's direct lift vs the chain lift. I have to drive slow with the Fisher to prevent the blade from bouncing up and down during transport. With the direct lift, blade stay's in the same position.