1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Vs. Fisher.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FF279, Jan 25, 2005.

1. FF279

FF279 Banned

Boss Vs. Fisher. Cant make up my mind!

Hey Guys,
    I need your help. I cant <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=make%20up" onmouseover="window.status='<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=make%20up" onmouseover="window.status='make up'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">make up</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">make up</a> my mind on which plow to buy. Its either the Boss or the Fisher. (( Not sure which type of plow either, V, Straight, Full/edge trip)) Can you guys give me some feed back. Any help is and always will be helpful...Thanks, Ryan

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

tell us about your truck and what kind of accounts you have and will be doing ECT.

3. FF279

FF279 Banned

Ford F-250. Mostly Resd. and possible Commercial props. I like the truck that the Cutting Edge Kid has, it's a real nice setup. Thanks, Ryan

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would take the fisher over anything else out there

5. FF279

FF279 Banned

Wow, you say go with Fisher, But looks like your running with Meyers, and Western, is Western a good company,it seems that they have design and many other problems!

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I have an 8 foot Boss straightblade w/tripedge. It just took me through plowing up to 3 feet of snow after the Boston area's "Blizzard of '05" and never missed a beat. It also sat in sub-zero temps and the hydraulics never froze up.

I'm going to be fair and say I've never used a Fisher, so I can't compare them, but it's obvious they must be good plows or there wouldn't be so many of them around here. One thing though, I hate the chains on the Fisher's lift cylinder, no chains on the Boss. That may be only asthetics, but I think the Boss is a more streamlined and modern looking set up.

What any guy buys and pushes with is their own business and if it works for you, then fine. Without bashing any other brands, I can just say that the Boss is a damn good plow. Period.

7. FF279

FF279 Banned

Hey Guys Thanks for the help so far..It's really helping me out :waving:

8. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Boss and fisher both good plows.If you are doing mainly resi accounts i dont think you really need a v plow.I prefer a trip edge plow myself and run all fishers.The full trip plows are said to be easier on the trucks(which is probably true) but for my conditions i think the trip edge works better and i have used both styles.The chain on the fishers does create a little bounce when you go over bumps on the roads you wont get that with the boss.

9. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

Just the type of question that brought me to this site.
    I have been plowing for about five years. All with the same Fisher plow.
    Have never really had any problems with it, still the same OEM lines.
    I plow just about all comercial.
    With the Fisher, when I hit a crack or groove the thing almost always pops up in the air, scarring the sheet out of me. I know most plows will also do this but is the Fisher worse than others because of the trip edge?
    I am buying a new one for next season, just not sure which one.
    If price didn't matter, which one would you buy?

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

yeah, the jumping up is kinda normal. Trip edge is the ONLY way to go IMO on a V plow but on a straight blade I prefer full trip. Western and fisher are owned by the same Co. and pretty much the same blade except for mounting differences and fisher is trip edge and western is full trip. Western's V plow is a trip edge though.

cost no object for a resi blade I would say a western or fisher V. True blizzard will clear a wider swath but when it is in its "scoop" position its pretty wide, over 8'. it might make things a PITA on tight resi. Scoop on a V is more compact although its not able to carry as much snow.

Depending on the kind of resi accounts you have you may be able to increase your productivity quite a bit with a back blade. Depending on your accounts if your on a limited budget(arnt we all) it may be better to go with a cheaper straight blade and spend the extra $$$$ on buying a rear blade. Or get a V and a back blade :cool:

11. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Both brands are top notch in my opinion.

I have only run fishers so I can only share with you that I love my Fisher X-Blade. I would definately recommend it to anybody looking at a straight blade.

I'm sure you will not be disappointed with either brand.

-Greg