1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss vs. Blizzard

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Jason762, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Jason762

Jason762 Junior Member
    from CT

Looking for input on a Boss 8' fulltrip straight blade vs.Blizzard 800HD for a 2007 Dodge 2500HD w/ CTD. Any input, suggestions, experience would be great...it will be for residential work.

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Definetaly Boss. Just the paint quality alone makes my decision easy. I will take some pictures of my 2004 Boss straight blade tonight and show you how awesome it still looks. No rust at all, looks like a brand new plow and all I have to do is wash it after every use and wax it once a year. Nevermind they are a cinch to take on/off!:)

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I bought a Boss 8ft superduty back in 1997. It was a tough plow , easy to hookup, fast response. traded up to Blizzard 810 in 2004.

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

there both great plows what matters most is DEALER SERVICE. honestly a plow brand is nothing without a good dealer that stands behind there product.

5. Michael M

Michael M Member

Boss

Boss is by far the better choice. Blizzard makes a nice plow, IMO Boss is the best plow on the market. The important issue is to make sure a dealer is close by and open 24 hours during a storm for service. I know what most people think, its new whats going to happen? Believe me, things happen. The smarthitch attachment system for Boss is superior to any other plow. Do your homework on both products and see what fits your needs the best. Good Luck.

6. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I have to agree with ABES I never had a boss so I can't say my blizzard is better. To me having the wings on the 810 saves ALOT of cleanup time. But it comes down to the dealer - will the dealer drop everything you get you up and running or will they say take a number and will get to you as soon as we can.................

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get the Boss.

The Boss is a superior plow that you do not need to modify from the factory to be dependable..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  8. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

If you had any expierence with Blizzards you would know there is no mods needed. In fact all should take a look at Blizzard and compare the strength of Blizzard to all others:gunsfiring:. But I still feel it comes down to service - which Blizzard dealers bend over backwards for you:angel:.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I have read the blizzard forums and all of them are full of stories about blizzards not being put together right or needing modifications right out of the box.

Thanks, but I will stick with a plow that does not require so much dealer support.

10. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I somewhat agree on the first blizzards that came out back in 1998 - however their are guys now who buy 2,3, or 4 blizzards at 1 time - these are plows that can withstand much more abuse than other plows. My plow needed NO mods at all. Jerre makes modifications to make a great plow better. Like buying a new truck everyone does something to make it better. I would not go bashing a plow based on what I read. Give the guy the facts you are 100% sure of.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I don't think there lying about there blizzard plows needing a high level of maintenance for one.
    The same thing can be said for Boss plow buyers procuring mutable plows at one time.

Fact: a blizzard can not do what a Vee
    plow can and a Vee plow can do it cheaper with fewer parts.

12. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Every plow needs maintenance if you use it

Fact: a Vee plow will never be able to GET WIDE.:waving:

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Maintance is less cost wise on a vee..

Why would a vee plow need to get "wide"?
    It can all ready scoop.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You guys realize this guy is asking about straight blades and not V's or expanding plows, right?

Just thought I'd make that observation.

15. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

If you want to scrape clean to the pavement easier the Blizzard is the way to go. Both plows weight in at essentially the same total weight but the Blizzard puts all of it to use for scraping and plowing.

Puts over 200# more weight on the cutting edge and has a better attack angle for scraping.

On the down side it will eat up cutting edges faster SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO we put Winter Equipment Extendors on them and this provides longer edge life and curbing protection at the same time.

Dealer support can be an open door or a phone call away depending on what you need.

Just like a vehicle they all need maintenance.

If you go Boss be sure to get the Rapid Tach option to make install and removal easier.

Plus for the Blizzard is no snow deflector needed on most plows.

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

hey, don't ruin it for us;)

17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Simply put.....just bought my 2nd Boss plow today and absolutely love them. Buying another plow yet this year too! payup

18. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

gotta love the boss, the only plow I would ever buy:salute:

19. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

or did you jsut see bossVSblizzard like i did?

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

\

Depends how many other plows are in front of you. What makes someone so special that the dealer should forsake all others? Is it like 'Jesus loves everybody, but I'm his favorite?"

I agree that good dealer service is paramount, but sometimes you just have to wait.