1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Vplow ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nysmokeater, Mar 28, 2002.

1. nysmokeater

nysmokeater Junior Member

Looking for a plow for my 93 Dodge 3/4 ton cummins diesel, found a Boss Vplow but the guy doesnt know what it came off, how hard is it to change truck mounts on these, ythis is belt driven pump 8', Are these good plows? I only have experience with Fisher and Western.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

nysmokeater, I don't have a Boss but several guys I know around here have Boss straight and V-plows. They look very tough, comparable to my Fishers. You want to be careful with mounting to that Dodge. I have a '90 W150 and if the frame is the same construction, there is a lot of grinding and fabrication involved. It took an experienced, professional installer five hours labor to get mine installed. Fortunately, they charge a flat rate for installation. They told me it evens out - some are easy and some, like mine, they lose money in labor.

Depending on the physical condition of the plow, it should do well, but you want to check what installation will involve. I think you can do that on their website.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have a hard time believing that any stock mount would require that much work. Were they trying to mount a different model sub frame?

I know that most companies have made mounts for Dodge trucks for many years.

I did not know that anyone other then Diamond made a belt drive V plow.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't really know what took so long. After I'd waited about two hours, I went back in the shop. He had the bumper off grinding on one side of the mount. That's when the service manager said it was going to take several more hours. Said it was due to that particular span of several years for Dodge. They loaned me a car (it's a new car dealership) so I could go home and come back the next morning. They'd finally got done after midnight.

My point to nysmokeater is to be careful if he buys the plow, then has to pay by the hour to have it installed. Could wind up being a pretty expensive "cheap" plow.:(
  5. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

NY, how old is this Boss V plow? It has to be pretty old to be a belt driven underhood plow. Boss uses a barnes electric/hydraulic outfront system and has for some time now. I would be suspect that this system would even mount up right under the hood on a 93 diesel cummins diesel. I'd do some more asking around in your area with dealers. Just my two cents worth. As for the subframe system, there should not be any grinding or cutting necessary, they should be able to match up to your specific truck application, if not, then and only then should it be a custom fit. 5 hours on a subframe install is way too long, many plows can be installed completely in that amount of time. You'll find that in many applications a dealer will install the subframe despite a manufacturer not recommending it or even having a specific mount, beware of this type of install, especially on a new vehicle with warranty.