1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss vplow adjustment

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by beefie, Feb 2, 2014.

1. beefie

beefie Junior Member

Okay a little history first. I bought a Boss 8.2 poly vplow 7 years ago and ran it on my 96 Dodge 2500 standard cab long box. I have sold the 96 and bought a 2004 Dodge 3500 quad cab long box srw. It came with the mounts on it and all wired up. I have had troubles with the hook up on it and discovered it was sitting at 16.5" hole height and the v nose would dig in too the ground when in the v position. and the scoop the center would be off the ground, but not much.

I have adjusted the mount down on the truck one set of holes figuring that would drop me down the 1" I needed for the 15.5". It actually got me to 14.75" with out ballest in the rear . I figured that would be okay. Tried hooking up and still drive over the lower pins on the plow that lock in to the j part on the truck mount.

I have looked at the Boss site and it says that if your v is nose down and your wings are up you need to "Move bumper stop towards truck-away from center section (one hole at a time) to bring wing tips down until level". The issue is there is no bolt holes (there is just a long slot)and the bolt is already back as far as it can go.

Is there something I am missing? Could the 4 springs for the trip be stretched out and just need tightening? Would tightening the mold board springs raise the back of the push tube and bring the back up for easier hook up? Would that help pull the wings back to sit on the ground?

Your guys help is greatly needed.

Beefie

2. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

3. beefie

beefie Junior Member

From what I can get out of that thread link is that the 4 springs need to have a credit card of gap between the spring coils. I have turned the springs 1/4" tighter but did not no about the cc trick when I was doing the tightening.

I will go outside and try again once the kids are in bed.

Thanks so far for the help.

Beefie

4. beefie

beefie Junior Member

Well I adjusted the springs until I had a c.c. go thru the gap easy . It looked like it picked up the push frame a bit. Still about a 1/2" low according to the tape measure but did not have time to put it on the truck to see what happened yet. Looks like I have a little more thread to go but not sure if I want to tighten them up any more.

Anyone have anymore ideas?

Beefie

5. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

Half inch to 3/4 of threads past the lock nut on the trip springs

6. beefie

beefie Junior Member

I now have 1.5" past the lock nut and it still doesn't get it high enough . Put it on the truck and still have to use a board to lift it up to clear the j hook on the push tube. Seams like the tip of the j hook lines up dead center with the center of the pin. I might have a few turns left but its getting tight.

On another note the plow quit today. I can here the solonoide clicking . But it doesn't do anything. Tried jumping both large posts and still nothing.

Its getting to be a frustrating year.

Beefie

7. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Clean all your contacts, boss motors almost never die. Also how low are your cutting edges? Did the truck have weight in it when you dropped the plow and its empty now?

Check that nothing is bent also