1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss verses fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cookie, Aug 18, 2003.

1. cookie

cookie Member

Hello. I just got a 1999 GMC 2500 4x4 with a 6l gas engine and an automatic tranny. I am going to be plowing a large parking lot this winter and I have yet to purchase a new plow. I am looking for a V-blade and I would like to know which plow would be best - a Fisher or a Boss. Would I be better off with a 8ft or a 9ft blade. Any help would be helpful, thanks.:yow!:

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Probably going to have better Fisher dealer support there. I would suggest you look for some of the posts by NSMilligan on his Fisher. Maybe PM him to get some more information.

3. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Both have good/bad points. We currently run Fisher, have had some problems as of last thinking about switching. This is what Ive found.
    Fisher-rubber flap in center, Boss has shoe I've heard is prone to breakage. Fisher has trip edge eaiser on truck in V or scoop. Boss has all hydralic lift, no slop in chain banging around. Boss hydralics seem faster & easier to get used to(no fidelling with mode button). Boss seems easier to put on truck-no experience with this though or with MM2, We have MM1 set ups.
    Good luck.

4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Cookie
    Both Ocean Equipment ( Boss) and Parts for Trucks (Fisher) are great dealers. I personally like Fisher, because of the bottom trip, no kissing the windshield when you hit a man hole cover in the scoop position, and the double acting cylinders, better back dragging, and more control of the individual wings. Both plows have their good points, and bad, kinda like a Chevy or Dodge. Check out the pricing and make a decision from there.

Bill

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

You would be better off with a 8ft-8.5ft plow. When looking for your plow dealer look for good dealer support. Both plows are very good although i have never used them I hear mainly good things about them.

Good Luck:drinkup:

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher V plows only comes in 8.5' and 9.5' - For your truck, if you want the V plow, then the 8.5' will be the perfect choice. The 9.5' would be a bit too big for that truck. I think that 9.5' V plows should be only used on truck with dually.

If you chose to go with Boss plow, then I think that 8'2" would be the best choice. 7'6" seems to be a bit too small and 9'2" seems to be a bit too big for that truck. Boss also has poly V plow which may be nice when you have heavy wet snow that would tend to stick on metal moldboard, but it does not stick that much on poly. I saw some of Boss plows last year at BBQ. The Boss dealer was nice to show me the procedure and how easy hooking up and unhooking is. Man, I am impressed, but I still would prefer Fisher. The Fisher plows seems to be stronger, and I like the trip edge. Also my dealer sells them so I have to stick with Fisher. Their new improved mount system, MM2, is supposely to be much better and easier.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

If your going to plow big lots,get the biggest blade you can.9.5' for the Fisher,or 9"2 for the boss

9. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

Hi! I personally would go with a Boss plow. I have been running mine for years and love them. The Boss plow can sometimes have a center snow-catcher shoe that comes off, but other than that i haven't had any problems. I vote Boss all the way!!!!!!!

10. cookie

cookie Member

thank you

thank you all who replied, i'll have to check on prices and warrenty(?). I think that the Fisher might be my best choice (the dealer is here in town).:yow!: